1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

$5000 ad budget what would you do?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by dnc19694339, Mar 4, 2013.

1. dnc19694339

dnc19694339 LawnSite Member

I want to do at least 2 different methods of advertising for mow/spray customers this year. Im gonna get this going in another week or two as I still have time up here in NY.

Im definitely doing adwords, probably around $25 day limit. so $750 month

Thinking some EDDM, that will eat up the rest of my budget quickly if I do 5000 twice that will cost me about $3000

What would you guys do with a $5000 budget?

DLONGLANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member

i would get a good website. And either work with or have an SEO company optimize your website and just try optimizing your self. Last year i spend 50 per day on adwords for a month and got maybe 4 jobs from that. Which paid for the adwords but wasnt a huge profit scoring way of advertising becasue it is so damn expensive. People can just click on the ad, not even contact you, and your money is getting used.

I would do EDDM, get 15000 printed, and do 7500 twice, then get another 7500 post cards or door hangers and mail those out to the same addresses by hand.

EDDM: $3,600 ish
    DOORHANGERS: $550 ish
    PASSING THEM OUT: $400 iss

Adwords is an extreamly expensive way to advertise. Ive tried it, and would not do it again.
  3. dnc19694339

dnc19694339 LawnSite Member

Seen your thread on EDDM, Would you just pay the extra to have it done now? I see ads for .28 for the 6x9 postcards all included
  4. nightshutter

nightshutter LawnSite Senior Member
    from UT

that advise is exactly what I would do. I had help with my website and SEO and saw a huge jump in sales last year. My website isnt that great but my phone rang off the hook and I did no advertising last year. Just my website. I'm going to give EDDM a try. Adwords i think is more of a waste.
  5. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

Get a website up ,this way any advertising will direct people to your site.EDDm is a good start.

if you want them done and mailed within two weeks and you have the extra money to spend , then yes pay someone else to do it. By the time they are designed, ordered, printed, and mailed out, if you dont rush order it(which costs $$$$$) you wont be able to get them out within 2 weeks.

If you have 3-4 weeks to get organized, get your paperwork in order and have a good designer and printer, then do EDDM. I love EDDM because its saving me money, im just blabbing about how long the paperwork takes, but i keep forgetting me how much its saving me.

Thats .28 cents is a pretty good deal if your only going to print out 5k of them, but when you get up in the higher numbers, 15-25k, the printing price drops so you save about 4-5 cents per piece overall, that money adds up quickly in savings.

5k post cards printed is like $500, but 20k post cards printed is like $1350 shipped and designed

Thats 10 cents each on the 5k order, but only 6 cents on the 20k order.

The more you order, the better EDDM is, the less you order, the better the full service company is.
  8. muddywater

muddywater LawnSite Bronze Member

Direct mail is dead, i spent 15k eddm and got nothing.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  9. CreativeLawncareSolutions

CreativeLawncareSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

Then you did it wrong.
  10. xclusive

xclusive LawnSite Bronze Member

Not necessarily. Timing is everything especially if you are trying to generate new business in the beginning of the season.