5000 direct mailing!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by realtree27, Jul 19, 2007.

1. realtree27

realtree27 LawnSite Member
    from harrah

What kind of response rate could I expect from 5000 direct mails advertising fertilizer and weed controll?

Thanks Marc

2. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

50 to 100 would be average I think.

3. somo1

somo1 LawnSite Member

Scotts has some of the best direct mail in the industry and they expect a 1-1.5% response with a 40% close rate. Good Luck

4. DSTC

DSTC LawnSite Member

I haven't ever done mail outs, but we have been talking about it lately. I know it's probably different from area to area, but what would I expect to pay on average for say 5k or 10k direct mail pieces? Something like postcards I think.

5. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Call and ask for Joe at Cactus Mailing.
    http://www.cactusmailing.com/

When I did my mailing they were very affordable and I found and there quality was awesome! I am thinking I paid something like .37 a piece but it has been a while. More you do the cheaper it is!

He was very helpful in helping me design my postcard to make it work.

6. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Back in the "original ChemLawn" days, the DMP's (direct mail packs) = 2 out of 100 who signed up. Not sure what to expect nowadays?

7. somo1

somo1 LawnSite Member

Generally, you pay about stamp prices. It cost the same for the direct mail and stamp as it does for you to just buy stamps. The reason is, companies that specialize in this direct mail get great bulk mail rates. Hear are some ideas, if you know the general sizes of lawns in a specific area give them a set price on the mailer. Why, because it will cost you more to go measure a lead than what you will make on it that year. Average cost for running leads is about $100-$150. If you have prices on them already, the first time that your on their lawn is when your treating it. Also think how many more direct mail pieces you can send out for that $100-$150 in lead cost. The trick to this business, like mowing is to condense your route and make the most amount of money in the least amount of time. This is how Real Greens Joe Kucik got 9000 customer in 3 years. Its called block-leading, measure homeowners lawns and get a database established so that you can take full advantage of your direct mail. Why send to neighborhoods that you don't want to work in anyway. Good Luck.

8. sclawndr

sclawndr LawnSite Senior Member

Response rate is driven by three things -

1. the specific offer - e.g. free service, dollars off, etc.
    2. The time of year you mail
    3. The weather at the time the piece is received

You can reasonably expect anywhere between .33 and 1.0 percent return. Your close rate will depend on how good a salesperson you are.

9. boats47

boats47 LawnSite Member

Our last mailing was a washout, no response. That was out of 3000 for various services from fert to mosquito control to tick control. Can't win them all

10. Meadowbrook

Meadowbrook LawnSite Senior Member

I checked out their website, and maybe it's just cause I'm blonde, but it seems like a bunch of info that clutters together. Can you help me? haha. Well, not really help, but they have so many products & services I can't really understand what postcards & letter will cost.