5000 postcards-1 time OR 1250 postcards 4 times

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by walker-talker, Jan 23, 2004.

1. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I have heard from advertising gurus that repetition is key.....what do you think?

5000 postcards sent one round or 1250 postcards sent 4 times to same address?

It seems to me that most just sends more of them out just one time, but I really don't hear many talk about the repetition thing.

What are your views?
    Thanks

2. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

If you can afford to hit 5000 homes then I would do just that better to have more eyes see your ad. I also don’t think the 4 times fits our trade so well when would you send them feb, march, april, may its one thing to send 4 per year its something else to send one per month then stop. Perhaps you could do one in feb then one in april and get the effect your after. But I still would rather have one well timed mailing for as many names as I could send out you get 1% out of 5000 and you have 50 new customers hehehe you get 10% and you are in a whole lot of trouble for you now need 100 k in new trucks and mowers.

3. Equipguy

Equipguy LawnSite Senior Member

Im from the school that says if you tell somone the same thing over and over again they begin to believe it. We've found mailing to a specific group or area on a regular basis brings the best results. It takes awhile for the name to sink in.

4. Mac V2.0

Mac V2.0 LawnSite Member
    from Mid OH

ive read many marketing books, and all say the same thing that frequency will generate approx 4 times better results than reach. Examples include such cenarious like one mailing to 4000 or two mailings to same 2000 is suposed to generate 4 times the results. Im not sure if that is the same ad though. I vote for repetition also, but space the timing out adequately.

5. TotalCareSolutions

TotalCareSolutions LawnSite Senior Member

Good question.

Timing not repetition fits our industry. An impulse of frustration, change -or- a need at THAT time.

Might I suggest targeting a particular audience with the 5000. I do this and the results have been better for me.

I would expect 1 - 1.5% call return with a target fitted for our industry. Meaning, a demographic that more typically has a Landscaper. Woman, Older, Money is what I usually target. 1% puts you at 50 calls, be ready with some time to get to them.

6. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I think repetition is key, but not necessarily repetition of one method. Continually getting your name out to people, getting people to see and eventually recognize your name is important. And I think using as many means to do that as possible is also key. If you only do fliers, or post cards, or newspaper, etc you are going to only reach those people that pay attention to those advertising means. I for one never read the newspaper, and any advertisers in there are missing me with their message. When I see a flier, and a post card, and a street sign, and a radio ad, etc where the name and message gets repeated to me, that name and message will stick with me. And when I need that service, I'm going to think of them. Which is why I try to have a variety of advertising. Try to reach as many people over and over again, through different means. I think that repetition is important.

I get pizza coupons and all kinds of stupid fliers stuck to my door all the time. The postcards that come to me in the mail as advertising I don't even bother to read. If a business only tried those methods, I'd never hear of them. But if they did all that and put up a street sign at the stop light near my house, or ran a tv spot, radio ad, etc, they'd eventually get their name/message to me.

So my strategy is to try for coverage on each advertising method, but to be varied in those methods and hope that the repetition of advertising coverage, not repetition of advertising method, brings me customers.

:D

7. brentsawyer

brentsawyer LawnSite Senior Member

Without hesitation, the 4 mailings for three huge reasons. One better response % to begin with like said before. Second, I would much rather work in an area of 1/4 the spread and finally when your working the area where you have repeatedly nailed with ads, others seeing your vehicles, lawn signs, etc. increases your response even more.

8. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

I agree with this quote

9. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

guys, where are the best places to get quotes on post cards to mail?

Thanks

10. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I am going with www.postcardwarehouse.com I ordered my door hangers last spring from them and they great to deal with. I am going to have my postcards professional designed first, but not by them.