5000 to buy equipment

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Keith1981, Mar 14, 2007.

1. Keith1981

Keith1981 LawnSite Member

Im just starting business in NH this season. I have budgeted about 5000 for equipment. Im thinking about spending 2700 on the exmark metro 36". spend about a grand on a blower and trimmers and such. and the remaining thousand for whatever else i think i might need along the way. Does this sound good? I'm going to try and get by without a trailer and fit every thing in my truck.

2. lurch

lurch LawnSite Member

good luck w/o the trailer...i'm using two 21" and even that is hard....you also need to allot some money for advertising....all that equipment and no customers would really suck

3. mirrorlandscapes

mirrorlandscapes LawnSite Member

Five grand should get you buy for the 1st year and see how much advertising you can do for free. I've gotten alot of word of mouth customers and have had to do some door to door. The only place to cut corners on equipment would be 21" push mowers (nobody shoot me for saying that). You can pick up halfway decent 21"ers at Menards or somewhere for $250, but make sure you get commercial built trimmers and blowers (those aren't worth going cheap on). Definitely consider even a small trailer, preferably with a drop gate, you will be glad you did. I started with a regular riding mower and drove it up ramps into my truck, it slipped off more than once and scared the daylights out of me. Also remember to set aside money for insurance and maintenance.

Hope you have a great season.

4. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

I would go with the Toro T-bar w/turbo force deck 15hp kaw 36" cut for $2800 its a much better mower than the Exmark. I would also suggest getting the Echo PB230 LN handheld blower it has plenty of power for most things and would be a good blower to start with and get a good Echo trimmer. You should be able to get all for less than $3400. Then take some of the money you have left and buy a small trailer to start out with and use the rest for advertising. Check out www.alamia.com for some ideas

5. Keith1981

Keith1981 LawnSite Member

I've been looking around and I like the ECS controls on the exmark. I just went to one of my local dealers and they have an Exmark Metro 48" for 2799 with a steel bag. I think Im going to buy this one. do you guys think its a good deal? Since my truck is a dodge dakota I will need to buy a small trailer if I go with a 48". Thanks for the advice.

6. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

i would want a trailor... some guys jsut use ramps..... scared the crap out of me, i got a trailor the next day... thought was going to bust up my mower, and me in the fall...:dizzy:

sounds like your on the right track.....good luck

7. Lugnut

Lugnut LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like a good deal on the mower

8. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

First mistake many make when starting is spending too much on equipment. I would suggest buying a decent used machine ($1200 or so), a trailer (6x12) $800 or so, and maybe a new trimmer and blower ($800). That will leave you with $2000 for expenses, some advertising, ect. If thing don't work out, you will be able to get back about 80-90% of you equipment investment. If they work out, upgrade as you go. I started out with 2 19" Lawn Boys ($50 each), an old snowmobile trailer ($75), and a new whip $125... back in 1985...lol

9. All_Clear

All_Clear LawnSite Senior Member

Great advise. Couldnt have said it better myself.

10. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

48" mower: $2700
    5x10 trailer: $1000
    blower and trimmer: $400
    Insurance: $500-1000 depending
    doorhangers: $250
    Piece of mind going into season with no debt: Priceless!!!