$5000 you pick the equipment

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Dingo, Jan 14, 2000.

1. Dingo

Dingo LawnSite Member
    from TN

OK, you got $5000 and you are just starting a lawn care service. what equipment would you buy? You need everything but a truck. choose the best setup and tell why you pick them. <br>

2. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

OPTION 1: Put $4000.00 into Cisco Systems stock and $1000.00 for a semester at Junior College.<p>MASTERCARD OPTION:<br>Trailer 1500.00<br>Shindiawa Trimmer, Blower, Edger 1000.00<br>Lesco Fertilizer Spreader (Stainless) 300.00<br>Downpayment of eXmark Lazer Z 60&quot; 22hp Kaw liquid 2200.00<br>Out in the sopping cold rain mowing 7&quot; tall thick grass while your customer is complaining because it's Thursday and she wants to get cut on Friday: Priceless. <p>I seriously think option 1 will make you more money and be less work. (but less fun)<p>

3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Lazer, your really pushing those Exmarks!! LOL Dingo, I would say Lazer gave you some good advice. The only thing I would change on his list is the brand of mower and one of these days, I'll get Lazer to change his brand too. (If I live that long) <p>If your planning on getting into this for the log haul, use the $5000 wisely and get the best equipment you can get. The 2 main tools that gets used the most is the mower and the trimmer, so don't skimp on them.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/index.html&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>

4. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I agree with all of the above! I would take the 5 grand and get all the top quality hand tools, trimmer(stihl), edger (stihl), backpack blower (stihl), thats around $1100.00 so far, go out and find an 8x16 trailer, ( $725.00 )next get all the appropriate licenses, tags, insurance, shirts, jackets, sweatshirts (all optional, but desireable) haircut (also optional, but desireable) all the prices for this stuff is variable so can't place a $ amount on it. Go to the printer and get your business cards printed $30-40 bucks, run an add on the cable channel and last but not least, put the rest down on a brand new 60&quot; DIXIE CHOPPER. The rest is up to you but now you have the BEST EQUIPMENT ON THE MARKET! Lease it or buy it, but don't buy or lease any other brand or you&quot;ll be sorrrrrrrrrrrrrrry!

5. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Homer, Very good advice.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/index.html&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>

6. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Eric, I thought you would loke that one! In all seriousness, you can stretch 5 g's a long way. It will buy all the necessary tools to get started and put a good down payment on a DIXIE CHOPPER. I did not start with a lump sum. Just bought one pc. at a time. Oh, one thing I forgot was a good set of hedge trimmers. I do not own the Stihl brand here, too heavy for a lot of shrub work, I own a set of Tanakas. They have served me well and have plenty of power for shrub work and seem to weigh 5 or 6 lbs. less than Stihl. <p>Homer

7. AandB

AandB LawnSite Member
    from Houston

I think If I had $5000, and was just starting out, I would be very conservative. About 90% of all new business fail during the first five years--I am sure the ratio is the same for new lawn care businesses.<p>Why not buy used equipment to start out--you could probably do this for $1000-$1500. Also, you can rent a trailer for $10-$15 a day. Then take, say $1000, to spend on marketing and keep $2500 in reserve. Within 6-8 weeks you should know if you are going to be successful. <p>If it looks like you won't be successful you can sell your used equipment and move on to something else without experiencing a total loss. If you are successful you can sell your used equipment and buy the type of equipment that you will need in the future.<p>Not as much fun as spending everything on new tools and equipment, but a lot safer.<p><p><p>----------<br>A and B Lawn Services<br>

8. Retro67

Retro67 Banned

There are several right answers to this question. I would suggest going to a few areas you might want to work. Do they have fences? Small gates? If so, you need a 36&quot; walkbehind. Otherwise, if most don't have gates, you can get away with using a little bigger mower. One 42-48&quot; (varies by brand) ZTR could get you a heck of a start. <p>Keep in mind a ZTR can mow more quickly every minute, literally, is worth something on the jobsite. This fact evades too many people, or they just don't realize the time they waste. <p>If you need to get in backyards in a decent percentage of your perspective areas, You would want to try maybe a 36&quot; for that, and a larger walkbehind for larger stuff, with the eventual plan of getting a ZTR. <p>Essentially, you need a mower or mowers, gas trimmer, gas hedge trimmer, tools(hopefully you have SOME already and a trailer to pull it all with. This is not a complete setup, but it would give you a decent start. Also, a commercial fert. spreader.(need to be licensed for anything other than NPK) Etc. Etc. Hope I stirred some thoughts for you. <p>John

9. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I did this several years back but only had about $2800 to work with.<p>I would buy a new 48-52&quot; belt drive walkbehind, probably an Exmark. Cost about $2700.<p>I would buy a Shindaiwa trimmer, edger and hedge trimmer. Cost about $1000<p>I would buy a Stihl BR400 blower, about $430.<p>I would try to find a trailer for about $800.<p>Best of all if you have $5000 to work with you will have no equipment payments. When you get more accounts then buy the Lazer.

10. moonarrow

moonarrow LawnSite Member

I agree with all the other guys an the shindiawa equip. GREAT. But I would sugest dhecking into the 48&quot; wright stander a great mower short manuverable and dependable. good luck<p>----------<br>Dale moonarrow@hotmail.com<br>Southern lawn and Landscape