501 vs 521 tracker

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Remote Pigtails, Feb 9, 2007.

1. Remote Pigtails

Remote Pigtails LawnSite Senior Member

During my winter boredom i bought a 501 tracker on ebay. I've tried it a few times and need more practice but can anyone give me a reason not to put it back on ebay? I have a 521 and pulser and was hoping the 501 would add another element to my wire repair and valve location.

2. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

I've been using the 501 for about 20 years(same one)and love it.
    I tried the 521 a couple of times but it shocked the hell out of me whenever I left it on and worked on the field wiring. ;)

3. laylow1994

laylow1994 LawnSite Member

yea ive done that shocked the heck out myself.... kinda learned to go back and turn it off when i was done tracking...

4. Remote Pigtails

We found that the 521 gave us a better signal over the valve. A lot of buried valves in dallas. Besides not shocking you how is the 501 better?

5. irritation

I'm not saying the 501 is better because it's probably not. I just find it inconvenient to have to go back and shut it off and on when you're working by yourself. I have located many buried valves with it also.

6. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

With all the talk about locators recently I spent three hours training my partner on the 521 this morning. Ran him through some actual scenarios at a nearby site so he got good experience using it under different conditions. First, last and repeated inbetween advice was "Turn the thing off before touching anything. Wand in one hand, can of paint in the other and you can't touch anything while the thing is on." :laugh:

7. Repairs

Repairs LawnSite Member

You think the 521 is good, grab a hold of a 2003 pulser with some wet shoes on. :cool2:

8. irritation

My shoes are always wet, and I've tried them all, most certainly during spring turn ons. :walking:

We need a smilie adjusting a sprinkler head.

9. aric43085

aric43085 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

The 501 will not locate a buried solenoid. It does a great job at tracking wire but leaves you in the dark when trying to find a valve or small nick in wire.

10. Remote Pigtails

The 501 will not locate a buried solenoid. It does a great job at tracking wire but leaves you in the dark when trying to find a valve or small nick in wire.

That was what I was suspecting. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing it improperly.

This is bad but kinda funny. I had a wiring nightmare on a job with thermostat wiring. pre solorain days. So to find the nick I kept a 20 dollar bill in my pocket. I had my 521 hooked up and watched these day laborers digging up and exposing the wire. One suddenly jumped and had a state of total shock on his face. I walked over gave him the 20 dollar bill and replaced the nicked area. Felt so bad though I never did it again. Hopefully it won't keep me out of heaven.