52"/20hp Grasshopper

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Guardian, Feb 17, 2002.

1. Guardian

Guardian LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

I heard yesterday that Grasshopper had their 52"/20hp Kohler for $6195. That sounds like a great price. Thats what 44"/17hp eXmark sells for.

I did a SEARCH on Grasshopper and it seemed that most feel they have hydro/drive problems. Anyone have any thoughts on today's GH?

Sale runs thru end of the month.

2. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

Ya, I've got some thoughts about'em. Stay Away from them!!! I've owned 2 GH w/52 decks. The first a 20HP Kohler, blew the left Hydro at 1500hrs, over $1000 to fix. The second, a 25 HP Kubota with the G2 trans (that was supposed to be bullit-proof) blew the right hydro and wheel motor at 1100 hrs. That would of cost me over $2000 to fix but I sold the unit for junk instead. You need to consider the overall cost of ownership of any unit. Example: change hydo oil on your Exmark. About $12 plus filter. To do the same on a GH with the G2 trans you need 2 gal of their "special hydro oil" @ over $70 per gal, not really worth it in my opinion. Plus you'll get a much better cut from the Exmark and it'll be a faster machine. I now own a Husky 23hp Kaw with 52" deck and it mows rings around either of my GH's. Don't make the same mistake I made, stay away from GH.

3. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I have a Grasshopper 721D,(60" deck/21hp diesel), that got 3120 hours on it's original Gemini hydro units. These are the hydros that are not supposed to be as good as the new G2 hydros. I think that life is pretty good. Our local city's Parks Dept has 5 identical units, except with 52" decks, and they say they never have hydro trans. problems with them. They just bought 2 more last month. I say who cares what the oil costs. It is a minor cost factor over the life of the machine as you only change it once every 1000 hrs. I bought a new 428d Grasshopper midmount last year and it has been trouble free. I plan on buying another this year. Anyone can get a bad machine from ANY manufacturer. The key is to have a dealer who will really support you should you be unlucky enough to get a true lemmon. I had a JD ztr that was trash, but others have had great things to say about that same model. My dealer took care of me on it. I will look at JD again in the future, but for now, Grasshopper is my first choice.

4. Bill Davis

Bill Davis LawnSite Senior Member

My dealer is trying hard to get me to switch from Gravely to Grasshopper and i might just do it. If i buy one it will be the 52" with the 25 hp though. If you are going to buy such and expensive machine then you might as well get the best. You will be happy you did in the long run, and by the way what is the normal price that yall pay for the 52" with the 25 hp grasshopper in your area? Thanks yall.

5. Bill Davis

Bill Davis LawnSite Senior Member

have any of you used the 52" with the 21 hp diesel. I bet that mower is a beast. Any comments on any of the grasshoppers would be appreciated. Have a good one.