52/25 kaw super z cuting out

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by FCS Services, Aug 11, 2006.

1. FCS Services

FCS Services LawnSite Member

PJ. I have a 52/25 kaw super z with about 160 hours on it and when I'm mowing it cuts out. like it would if you got off the seat. But it cuts out/stumbles for 1-4 seconds and then regains - sometimes it dies if I'm going through some tall/thick stuff...???

any ideas or thoughts

Thanks
    Frank

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Have you checked your fuel filter? are you sure your not getting bounced out of the seat?

3. FCS Services

FCS Services LawnSite Member

Hi - I thought about the bouncing thing but sometimes it happens when I'm smooth. It also sometimes happens when I'm on an angle???

I'll check the fuel filter

Thanks
    Frank

4. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Hmmm....
    Check the fuel filter and let me know.
    If it is on a angle it could be starving for fuel also.
    Have you talked to your dealer about it?

Pj

5. FIRESCOOBY

FIRESCOOBY LawnSite Senior Member

Join the crowd. My 19 KAW does it as does my buddies 25 KAW. I've bypassed my seat safety switch with no change. I've told my dealer and of course we couldn't get it to duplicate for him. He seems to think it might be the coil on the motor. It's REALLY aggravating. I'll be going along and it does it and leaves some grass uncut. Pi**es me off to no end when it happens, which is VERY often. Usually when going at a good clip or under a good load.

If someone finds a solution...let me know. My fuel filter looks ok, but haven't changed it yet. Of course it's been doing it since about 30 hours and has nearly 100 now.

6. jjhu00

jjhu00 LawnSite Member

I have a '06 25/52 mini z that is only 2 hours old and has the same problem. The engine stutters for a 1-2 but regains power 1-2 seconds later. I was not going full tilt or on a steep slope, just cutting normally. Not sure what is making this happen.

7. FIRESCOOBY

FIRESCOOBY LawnSite Senior Member

PJ

Anything more on this? I hit 100 hours today. I'll change the fuel filter this week to see if that makes a difference.

BTW: What size filter do I need (line size)?

8. exmarkdude

exmarkdude LawnSite Member

This is definately a coil issue...just had mine fixed on a 26lc Kawasaki. Very common on Kawasaki's.

9. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

This is a situation where the dealer has to have it while it happens so he can check for ignition or fuel issues when it happens, unfortunately I can not diagnose it with out seeing it, just as the dealer cant unless he has it.
    Work with your dealer and get it back to them, they can get this taken care of.

Pj

10. tenners

tenners LawnSite Member

We have the same problem. 2005 Super Mini Z that cuts out on hills, rough areas and smooth areas. Already changed the spark plugs, fuel filter and had them look at the carb. So far no fix. Really would like to know if the coil fixed the problem.