52 belt or 60 hydro?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kutnkev, May 16, 2001.

1. kutnkev

kutnkev LawnSite Member

i'm going to lesco tommorow .going by the posts here the best advice seems to be get the biggest and most powerfull machine you can afford. for me i like either the 52 belt for price. but i feel like the extra money for the 60in hydro floater is the most productive. i plan to run doubles on it. any suggestions?
    kevin

2. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

your question is a toughie! I run a lesco 48, belt and that is the right size for me. the 52 or the 60 should be OK but grill them over the MTD/lesco connection. earlier in the year they had the 48 hydro with a 17 kaw with electric start for $3200. hard to beat that deal.

GEO

3. Wood Lawn Man

Wood Lawn Man LawnSite Member

Belt drive is out of the question. Would you pay $5000 for a truck with no reverse???? You should be spending a lot more time behind that mower than you do behind the wheel of your truck.

4. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

hydro is the way to go, but why not look at a 60" ztr you'll be able to go faster and the big thing is you'll be able to ride. well wortha few thousand more.

5. guntruck

guntruck LawnSite Senior Member

Well lets put it this way, we owna toro 52" belt and i really really like it. Alot of fellers on here dont like belt at all they will never even consider buying one, me, there not too bad most of the time. They hydro has alot of advantages over the belt so i guess it all boils down to what you can afford and what your needs are with the machine. Are you p/t or f/t then you may want to reconsider your investment on the machine initially. Just a couple of thoughts.

:blob3:

6. ScottH

ScottH LawnSite Member

if you can afford to buy or finance the additional cost, the hydro would be the way to go. anything you can do to increase your efficiency will help you to get done with each job faster therefor being able to do more jobs in the same time frame, and be able to do more jobs per day. unless your on a severe hill, riding is better than walking. in the end, i think you'll find you'll be able to make enough additional money to come out ahead of the game even after factoring in the additional cost/payments on the hydro.

good luck!!

7. kutnkev

kutnkev LawnSite Member

went to lesco and found out they no longer make a 60 in wb.
    thanks for the responses. will go back to the drawing board.