52" exmark deck squeals when blades r engaged

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jbell113, Jul 6, 2004.

1. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

Just wondering if its normal for exmark to squeal when blades r engaged and it squeals when I hit tall grass. Its a walk behind if that matters any.:(

2. ince8728

ince8728 LawnSite Member

It may possibly be the belts slipping on the spindles, which means they are worn or is not enough tension. When i worked for someone who had walkers they both squealed when the blades were engaged and had no probs, but you should deff check the tension on the belts or have them replaced.

-Matt

3. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

My metro makes a funny noise when I push the PTO engage, but it sounds like more of a squawk than a squeal. It's always done that and it has always cut nicely, so I assume there's no problem.

If it makes that same squealing noise when you hit tall grass, I'd definitely follow Matt's advice and check the belt tensioner and the belts.

4. teamgeo

teamgeo LawnSite Member

ince8728 is absolutely correct. it just happened to me last week. i forgot to grease the point where thr tensioner is and thus it froze over the course of time which led to squeaking, which led to repairs.

5. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

I just put a new belt on a month ago. Can it be the pullies r wore out and slipping around them in the tall stuff?