52" Exmark

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Throgmorton, Jan 27, 2003.

1. Throgmorton

Throgmorton LawnSite Member

I have decided to buy a 52" exmark but have not made my mind up whether to purchase the HP or Full Size. I am leaning toward the HP with the 23 hsp Kohler or Kaw. It appears since it is 4.5 inches lower that it would handle slopes and hills better. Price is not an issue. I want the 52" because of it's maueverability in tight spaces. I'm a part-time solo operator. If a person is sold on the 52" deck, I really can't see why a person would by the Full-size over the HP. Please give me feed-back. I've already spoke with 65HOSS and i know his opinion but would also like to hear from other experienced operators.

2. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

I would go with the HP. It will fit in and out of you're trailer better, take up less space, less weight. But you could get a 60" lazer z for less than the 52" HP. Sounds like a no brainer to me.

3. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

Excuse me, I would "go with the HP" if you had to have a 52" deck. Just needed to clarify.

4. beck

beck LawnSite Senior Member

The decks are actually different from TT to TTHP. The HP has the trivantage and the TT has the Ultracut, which is 5.5 inches deep(sorry the book does not say the depth of the trivantage)
    The TT has a larger frame and can carry the 52 or 60 inch deck, it also has larger tires. You also get the canister air filter for the Kohlers. Electric start, hourmeter electric pto are standard.

My vote would be the TT with the 23HP kohler.

5. roscioli

roscioli LawnSite Senior Member

I assumed you meant Lazer. Did you? If so I would go with the HP. I have a fullsized 60", and sometimes wish I had a HP too.

6. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

At least get a price on a 60"er. If you lt want a 52" I' get the Ultracut.

7. Shadetree Ltd

Shadetree Ltd LawnSite Senior Member

I just made the same decision and went with the full size 52". While I like the trim measurements on the 52" HP I like the fact that I got a 27 HP engine on it. We will use this with the ultravac almost exclusively, the thick wet spring and fall growth made me decide for the larger engine.

Scott

8. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I demoed both. If I were choosing between the two, there is no doubt I'd get the HP. The only possible advantage I can see with the full size lazer 52" is if you wanted more than 23hp.

As someone else mentioned, shop around if you are not totally sold on the 52". I found a full size 60" for the same price. I like the 60" and the 52" equally. The size difference for getting in and out of small places isn't that much. But there is a good bit extra production to be had with the 60" for the same investment.

9. Husker1982

Husker1982 LawnSite Senior Member

In my opinion you have to look at your options. Do you do mostly residentials? If so you want a lighter mower. Do you have alot of lots under 1/2 acre if so the diff between the 60" and the 52" is not so much a factor. Do you run this to pull things such as an aerator or thatcher? That will help you decide the HP. Look at what you need then there isn't much left for you to decide.

10. Strawbridge Lawn

Strawbridge Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have one and love it. I do most of my properties with it and now just need something to be as quick and efficient in those darn gated back yards..