1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

52" Gravely walkbehind, 17hp kaw motor,anyone familiar

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by moremow, Dec 11, 2006.

1. moremow

moremow LawnSite Member
    from roanoke

An exmark dealer has a 52" Walk behind Gravely,,,i think it is 2006 model or maybe 2005 ,,not sure,,it has 20 hours on it. Mint condition it would appear. The dealer was trying to sell it for $3600 to move it out before the end of the year. I asked the guy why did the guy trade it in with just 20 hours on it. He said that the guy just liked exmark. Sounds a bit suspect but I thought i would ask some of you folks on here. I thought it might be all right possibly as a back up mower perhaps. But then again i thought of the 17 hp. Not sure ,,what do you folks think? Thanks
  2. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds like not too bad a deal. 20 hours seems really low, but you never know. Maybe the previous owner didn't like it. Check it over carefully.

Personally, I'd want no less than 19hp for a 52" deck walk behind, but that's just me.
  3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Can you post a pic of it. I had good luck with my 06 48" gravely walk.
  4. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

I have never used the Gravely walkbehinds before but sound like a good deal. I have two Toro 52" hydro w/17hp Kaw on them and they have more than enouph power, if I remember correctly Gravley you are talking about has the Kawi 17hp V-Twin on it. Check it out real good and ask about warranty but for the $ if all is good buy it. Mine cost me over $5,000.00 a piece.
  5. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

I had a Gravely 1548 (15HP, 48") belt drive fixed deck machine for 2 years. It was a very good machine, from a good dealer. No problems. Cut very well, and pulled me uphill in high gear on a sulky no problem, and I weigh 210. I bought the mulch kit, which sucked. I sold it to get an Exmark 52" ZTR.
  6. Gmgbo

Gmgbo LawnSite Senior Member

i have that same gravely mower, its awsome, not underpowered at all. i take that before i take the scag.
  7. Allens LawnCare

Allens LawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Could have been a home owner trade-in. 2 yrs ago I bought a 97 36" Metro with 40 hrs on it....That means the guys put 40hrs on it over 7yrs
  8. turfscape

turfscape LawnSite Member

i run a gravely 1752 walk-behind almost every day. i love it. the 17HP Kawi is plenty of power to do it all. i've never had any problems out of it what so ever. buy it in my opinion.