52 inch Stander Mulch Capability with Factory Mulch Kit

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ITL, Jul 5, 2005.

1. ITL

ITL LawnSite Member
    from SW OH

Lawnsite Team

We have made the decision to start the purchase process for a 52 inch Wright Stander. We could use some additional help to refine our decision with respect to the factory mulch kit, engine choice, and obtaining a good purchase price.

We are currently mulching residentials lawns with 21 inch Toro Prolines except for a couple of Churches which we use a 44 inch side discharge for the rear large sections. We mow cool season grass mixtures in SW Ohio and prefer to mulch mow with the Stander.

Question. Will the Wright Stander with Factory Mulch Kit mulch well without leaving streaking and clumping. We are pleased with the 21 inch Toro Prolines mulching ability and are hoping the Stander will be as good if not better. How does the Stander do mulching up fall leaves? Currently we are leaning toward the 23HP Kawasaki Engine thinking it will provide sufficient power for mulch mowing. Would the 23HP Kohler or the 25HP Kawasaki be better choices for Torque, durability, fuel economy or other?

Anything else we should consider before purchase. Considering the Channel Parner Program to save some on cost and waiting for quote from local dealer as well.

Thanks

Wayne

2. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Wayne, go with the 25 Kawasaki, you'll never lack for power..As far as mulching, ours do great here in WV in TF / PR&BG lawns. Look into getting an OCDC to give you options for side discharging when you need to do so quickly. Also, make sure to get a GG bagger...they work great on the machines they were designed for. I prefer the Raptor blades, and they give an excellent cut. I am going to order some new Fusion blades in the Gator style from Travis at Lanscape Supply Online, and try them out as well.

3. ITL

ITL LawnSite Member
    from SW OH

Impact

Thanks for the great information on blades, OCDC, and engine. I normally get Oregon blades from Travis advise how the Fusion blades hold up. Will check on what OCDC options are available. I was not sure on the Grass Gobbler Bagger but dealer keeps them in stock so may check what price he can give with new mower purchase.

Do you have the factory mulch kit(block off plate and blade baffels) or OCDC with Rapor. If OCDC and Raptor blades work well without the factory mulch kit, maybe I should hold off on the installing the factory mulch kit.

Thanks

Wyne

4. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Wayne , I have both running the factory baffles and single Raptor blades. One has the factory block off plate in place, and the other has an ACS OCDC from Bad Boy/ MegMo. They definitely seem to vac better with the baffles in place, and enhance the stripes as well.