1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

52 inch Toro Walk Behind

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ac.lawn.care, Feb 12, 2012.

1. ac.lawn.care

ac.lawn.care LawnSite Member

I am going to be looking at a Toro 52inch walk behind. It is hydro and a pull start. Probably an '07 model with 180 hours on it. I have no experience with these and was wondering if there might be something I should look for in regards to problems with the mower?

It appears to be in good shape cosmetically and I will be running it this evening. What kind of price would be good for it? I am thinking somewhere between 2500 and 3500 depending on how it runs. It comes with a velkie, baggin kit, and mulching kit.

Thanks in advance!!!!!!

2. ac.lawn.care

3. ricky86

ricky86 LawnSite Bronze Member

Make sure the drive levers move down in their slot smoothly and as quickly as you move the speed control stick in the center of the dash. You should not have to help them go down. If the unit has the issue, you should notice it right away.

4. ac.lawn.care

Thanks and will do Ricky.

5. ac.lawn.care

If I make an offer, is $3000 too much or to little assuming the mower is as advertised?

6. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Keep in mind that machine is fixed deck, which makes it more difficult to change heights. Pistol grips are a little more physically challenging than t-bar.

7. ac.lawn.care

Well, I just took a look at it and it performed well and the owner seemed like a solid guy. The mower shows little signs of use. He is going to throw in a velkie, bagging set-up, and mulching kit. I am thinking of $3000 being a fair price. any thoughts?

8. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

It looks like a nice machine. 180 hours isn't bad for that machine. 3k is fair but how much is he asking? It doesn't hurt to start a bit lower and see if he will come down. If he doesn't you can always just come up a bit.

9. ac.lawn.care

He is asking $3500 for the mower,a trailer, the velkie, bagging set-up, and mulching kit. I am interested in the trailer. It is a standard 5 x 8 utility trailer from tractor supply. The trailer is mint. Not even a scratch.

I priced getting the trailer, the velkie, and the other stuff at over $1000 dollars so I see it as getting the mower for 2000. Any thoughts? $3500 seems like a good deal from my perspective but you all know way more than me.

10. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

I have seen the same model with more hours go for about 2k. I would say that 2500 for the mower and accesories is a good deal. Then depending on the model trailer, it is easily worth 3k. I would have to see the condition to say if it is worth more. I might start with an offer at 2800 and see what he says.