52" Laser or Laser HP?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GeorgiaGrassMan, Jul 9, 2003.

1. GeorgiaGrassMan

GeorgiaGrassMan LawnSite Member

Does anyone know the approximate price difference between a 52" Laser HP w/23 HP versus the Laser w/27 HP? Is it worth the extra money? Why or why not?

Thanks,
    Greg

2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Full size Lazer More Horse Power, ULTRACUT DECK Deeper Better In Thicker Grass. Faster Mowing! Just To Name a Few
    John

3. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

If you are comparing strickly 52" decks then I would go with the HP. I have one and love it. I have tried a 52" Lazer Z and didn't really like it because the forks that the front canister wheels are on extend out too far making it hard to get really close to objects. The HP has a very compact design. I am not ruling out the regular Z, infact I am buying a 60" with a 27hp in two months. But if you are only comparing 52" decks, go with the HP.

4. GeorgiaGrassMan

Great reply Esby. I do need to be able to get up close to things so that's a major consideration.

5. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

I have an hp 23 horse 52" and love it you sure don't need 27 horse for a 52" deck.as for faster cutting the hp runs full out at 9.5 mph versus the laser at 10.0 mph I can't possibly say that 500 dollars is worth the half mile per hour cause 95% of the time you can't cut that fast anyway.the 60" laser that my brother rides does seem to handle a little smoother than the hp 52" that I ride.

6. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

well i got a 52 lazer w 20 kohler.
    its the best trim mower i have owned ,bar none. just raise the deck with hilifts on and sucks the trim work into the blade. foot deck lift eliminated probably 70 percent of my trim work.

7. john wesley hardin

john wesley hardin Banned
    from il

For a 52 inch id go with the lazer hp ,ground speed is about the same .
    And the hp is very compact and a very good mower.

8. Rich's Lawn Care

Rich's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I have the 52" lazer hp 23 kaw. and i love it. but if you need to get up close to things or under shrubs or decks then its not that good. it is best for open flat yards.

9. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I have a 48" lazer hp in the shop and am using a 52" 27hp Kohler full size lazer they have provided as a loaner.

My impressions are:

The full size lazer will cut tall grass faster and cleaner. Probably due to the deeper deck.

The full size lazer is surprisingly easier for me to turn w/o tearing turf, the opposite of what I expected.

The full size lazer holds hills better side-side but especially feels more planted to the ground than the HP going downhill. The weight distribution seems much better overall.

The HP sits lower and is more compact around beds and stuff. It's also a little easier to cram on the trailer.

The 52" overhang on the full size lazer is about the same as on the 48" HP. I think a 52" hp might have a longer trim edge

The 52" gives an unacceptable cut on low mown Bermuda that isn't table top flat, the 48" is somewhat better but still not ideal. No wide deck mower will be.

Power on the full size is great, but the 21hp on the 48" is no slouch either. The 27hp doesn't feel any stronger on this mower than even my 18hp HP did. But it may just be feel, not reality.

HP has a little more steering touch, but that might be an adjustment thing.

I save an average of about 5 minutes an hour with the full size vs. the hp. I got the HP assuming it would do less turf damage, but that hasn't been the case.

If I had it to do over again, I would probably go with the full size lazer. I'm not sure I can come up with a reason why a 52" HP would be a good choice over either of the other two.

10. GeorgiaGrassMan

Great info Bruce. Thanks!