52" Lazer AS or 52" BB Lightning

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by jreichlin, Jun 26, 2008.

1. jreichlin

jreichlin LawnSite Member

We normally mow about 5 acres a week. Does the deck on these mowers extend far enough beyond the wheels to do a good job of trimming? Any preferance on the mowers ? Thanks in advance.

2. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

I'm in the same boat only trying to get a 60" Lazer AS or BB Lightning.

You can go to their websites and compare specs and get some answers. How close are you to a Bad Boy dealer?

3. retrodog

retrodog LawnSite Silver Member

You have a little trim room with the 52", but more with the 60"

bad boy 31hp pics 010.jpg

4. retrodog

here is a 60, sorry didn't have a real pic on file My first BB was the 52" lightning, and I mow a 5 acre yard with it in one and a half hours. I mow it once a week, and its treated to keep the weeds out, so it looks really good at full speed.

album_3_BBM-Lightning_back_t.jpg

5. Happy Frog

Happy Frog LawnSite Bronze Member

The 52" will not allow you to trim easily but will get in more places and provide a better cut on uneven turf (the two reason I choose a 52").
    If trimming with the mower is important to you and you have a pretty flat turf, get the 60" instead.
    Also, Bad Boy will get you a better mower for the money.

6. retrodog

don't know much about the Exmark, just have mowed on a few while letting guys demo. What engine does the As have? The huge difference is the easy ride suspension system paired with the Michigan seat on the Lightning. It will feel like a cadillac compared to the Exmark (not a big deal if your only mowing an hour or so). The Lightning 52" you can get the 26hp Liquid-Cooled Kawasaki for $7495, the 31hp Forced-Air Kawasaki for $7995. It has a 2.38 guage 1/4 inch deck, 4 rail 11 guage 2x2 frame, 3/4 inch front castors, 14mph, 12cc pumps. I know Exmark's 27hp Kohler Courage 50" is $7495, and Bad Boy's 27hp Kohler Courage 50" is $4695 (just had a lady yesterday come from the Exmark dealership looking at the 27hp kohler, so she was an easy sale), so I am sure the As is higher than the Lightning especially if they offer the 26hp LC Kawasaki. The AS will have a 7 guage deck which looks kinda weak compared to the BB. No suspension which will allow for a rough ride. If the Exmark is more money with a lot less of an engine sitting on it, I think common sense will make your descision for you. Both will have similiar cutting abilities with the BB being the smoothest cut on rough ground as both have very similiar air baffling systems. My gut tells me the AS prolly has an air cooled motor on it which the 26hp is rated to last 50% longer than the air cooled. That motor retails for $3999, so their isn't any other company that offers it on their mower for under $9000.

7. MJB

from Wa

The Exmark Lazer Z AS comes with a 28hp Kawasaki, 60" ultracut deck, mulch kit, deck assist pedal,stripe roller, suspension seat. Base model starts at $8580 plus
    329. stripe kit, 179. mulching kit $9088. out the door with a dealer within 100 miles that give out loaners while being repaired. Not a bad deal as I know how good the cut and stripe quality is on this mower.

Versus : Bad Boy Lightening 26 L/C Kawi, pedal assist, suspension seat, suspension, 60 inch deck, mulch kit, no striper, shipped to me I think it was $9100 + don't have those numbers in front of me.

BB has a smoother ride and L/C engine.

Exmark positives: Dealer support I found a new dealer. Ultracut deck and stripe roller, suspension seat. The Exmark deck is very well built I have 3800 hrs of mulching on my 2000 model and it has at least 3 yrs left before I could see any deck issues so thats not an issue.

I would have to put some of the BB mower together like the mulch kit, pedal assist etc not sure on that. I have to drive 354 miles and stay in a motel just to look at a Bad Boy mower another $250 and time that I don't really have.

8. retrodog

:rolleyes:
    the dealer should put on all that for you, and most shipping companies now jsut drive the mower off the truck ready to mow. If you get the Exmark now, and then see a suspension Bad Boy later and ask to mow on it, you will be beating yourself after even driving it around the parking lot....lol. That is a good price on the Exmark though the 26hp lc is a better mower. You could get the 31hp Forced air kawasaki on the 60" BB for $8495 I am sure there is a Bad Boy dealer out there somewhere......:rolleyes:.......that might be able to help you out a little more on the shipping to lean you over to buying the Bad Boy. If you are gonna take the trip to the closest dealer, you ought to call and make sure they have the mower you want in stock (only takes 10 days if not), and pull a little just in case trailer so you can go ahead and get it to save on shipping.:cry:

9. MJB

from Wa

I was talking to the factory hoping they would give me a good deal as I would take it out and show it to every lawncare company in town and then some. I would also take to other dealers to spark their interest. But what I got out of the different reps etc is Bad Boy isn't ready to move up here yet. There talking 6 months to a yr even though they wouldn't actually come out and say it. Kind of strange they sent 60 mowers to Alberta Canada dealer but none to the Pacific NW. I realise they are trying to eliminate growing pains by not taking on more areas than they can deal with now. But the price is the same if I have it delivered to my door or drive 350 miles to pick up.
    I've done everything I can to let them know I was serious about buying one. But my patience is running out , and tommorrow I demoing another brand of mower that cuts good out here but is not my 1st choice but $8000 out the door. Exmark well have 1 for me next week if I wait for $9100 plus tax.

I even asked for info to give out to the dealers and they never sent it probably an oversight but....

10. retrodog

You oughtta just get my demo, hasn't been misused at all, and is in excellent shape just serviced and ready to go. I have it listed on ebay, the only thing its the 31hp Kawasaki, but it has alot of the options you were looking for, you would just have to pay for the shipping over the bid price. I just got a new 35hp 72" Cat diesel demo today, so i guess its time to move out the other one.