52" Lazer HP w/23 Kohler

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by statman, Jul 26, 2004.

1. statman

statman LawnSite Senior Member

Many times, expecially after long stints of mowing (30-90 minutes) when I shut off my mower, it keeps running, like knocking and dieseling. The mechanic at the dealer says it's a little gas left in the carb, do you agree with that Terry? The mower was new in May and has ~ 90 hours. The demo I had did the same thing.

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Statman,

The kohlers will do this when hot if you shut them off at idle. Shutting them off at 1/2-3/4 throttle should eliminate this. What happens is that when you shut the engine off at idle it lets some excess fuel enter the combustion chamber. If the engine is hot enough and if you have enough compression you get "dieseling".

That's not to say something more isn't going on but it would be unlikely.

Thanks

Terry

3. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Had the same problem,changed to 89 octane fuel during hot periods and it seems to have helped.

4. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

my 18hp kohler command pro has never done that on regular fuel and it now has 1,700 hours on it. IMO there is something wrong.

5. faithfulFrank

faithfulFrank LawnSite Member

i have the same mower, 52"hp/23hp kohler.
    my dealer told me always start it and stop it in 1/2 throttle, as well as starting and stopping the mower deck the same way.
    doing this, i have not had that problem.....this concurs with what terry said.
    respectfully,
    frank d.