52" Metro HP questions...

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by swa240z, Jun 27, 2002.

1. swa240z

swa240z LawnSite Member

I found a new "old stock" 52" Metro HP with a 17 HP Kawasaki that is about 1.5 - 2 years old. Since I haven't seen the unit yet and I can't get a brochure on this unit anymore, I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the differences are between the older 52" and the newer 48" Metro HP's.

Are there any known issues with the 52" unit that I should be aware of? Just wondering if there was a reason why the 52" was discontinued in the Metro HP line.

The 52" deck was a little bigger than what I was looking for, so I'm a little concerned about scalping. What is the setup for the anti-scalp rollers.

I'm also interested in what the suggested retail price was for the 52". Thanks!!!

Steve

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Steve,

The 52" MPH was last built in 2000 and retailed for about $200 more than a 48" at that same time.

The biggest reason why this model was discontinued was sales. We dropped the 52" Metro fixed deck a couple of years before that as well as the 52" Viking hydro. For the most part the 52" walk behind sales have always been hydro and generally with all the bells and whistles like the big Turf Tracer. The 52" does weigh about 35-40 lbs. more than a 48" and has a reverse assist.

Should be a fine cutting machine.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thank you

Terry

3. eXmark

Steve,

I just wanted to answer the last part of your post. On the mower, there should be a decal that advises you where to set the anti-scalp rollers. You always want to maintain a 1/4" distance from the ground to the roller. If you want maximum flotation, go one hole position lower than the recommended setting (see decal or Operator's Manual) for the height you are cutting at. Just make sure that the rollers are not running on the ground at all times. This will wear the rollers and could cause streaking in the grass.

If you buy that mower and need an Operator's Manual, you can either download one from our web site, or we can send you one. Just e-mail us or create another post. Don't forget to include the serial number if you want us to send you one.

Hope this helps,

Dustin
    Exmark Customer Support

4. swa240z

swa240z LawnSite Member

Terry & Dustin -

Thanks for the quick responses! Since the dealer is about an hour and a half away, I have a few more questions. Regarding the anti-scalp rollers, what is the number and configuration on this model? Is it the same setup as the current MHP 48" or is it set up more like the turf tracer, with the extra rollers?

BTW, the dealer shot me a first round price of $2999 for this unit - it's brand new, just old stock. For those that bought one of these new, does that sound reasonable? I hope to negotiate the price down a little if decide to buy it. Thanks again!

Steve

5. swa240z

swa240z LawnSite Member

Sorry - need to ask one more question. If I decide I don't like the pistol grips, is there a kit to retrofit a newer 52" Metro HP with the ECS? If so, what is the price and part number. Thanks!

Steve

6. eXmark

Steve,

At this time there the official answer is no. There is not an ECS handle kit available for the Metro HP.

Thanks

Terry

7. swa240z

swa240z LawnSite Member

bummer :(

any plans for a kit?

8. eXmark