52'' mini z pto and gas cap problems

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by smokeb4fire374, May 14, 2005.

1. smokeb4fire374

smokeb4fire374 LawnSite Member
    from va

I have a 52'' mini z and the pto fails to work after ive been mowing for a while. Im not sure if it is the switch or the clutch. I have to keep engageing it until it starts back up. The clutch seems to be working fine when its on.

I also have a problem with gas seeping out the top of the caps. I thought it was just when the tanks were full but it happens no matter how full the are. Any suggestions on whats going on with my z.

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

It sounds like you need your clutch looked at and adjusted or possibly replaced, but either way, your dealer can check out the whole PTO system.
    As for gas caps, your dealer can also give you some updated ones, that will take care of that problem.
    How old is this unit? has your dealer been made aware of the problems?

Pj

3. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Do you disengage your blades at full throttle? I find that if I throttle down before disengaging the blades I don't have any problem with the pto, but if I forget and shut off the blades at wot, it seems to heat things up in the clutch and she has a lag when trying to engage the Pto the next time around. Just a thought.

4. smokeb4fire374

smokeb4fire374 LawnSite Member
    from va

My unit is going on 2.5 years old and only has 276 hrs on it any of this covered under the warranty.

5. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

That would have to be considered by your dealer and our service department, I can not answer that question.
    The gas caps will be taken care of even though your unit is out of warranty.
    Please get with your dealer ASAP.

Pj