1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

52" or 60" exmark with ultravac?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GLS, Sep 13, 2003.

1. GLS

GLS LawnSite Bronze Member

You guys have convinced me that exmark is the best. Now, I am trying to decide which one is right for me. I will be purchasing a new z next spring.

I definetely want the ultravac because a lot of my accounts require bagging and I want it for leaves. Here is my problem. I was originally looking at the lazer z 60" with 27 hp kohler. The literature states that the overall width with the blower is 74.44". Well, my trailer is only 72" (why didn't I buy a 6.5' trailer??).

So I guess I have two options.

1. Take the blower off everytime it is loaded on the trailer.

2. Buy the 52".

If the blower isn't that hard to take off, I would prefer to get the 60" because the 52" only has a 2-bin bagger. I won't be using the vac on every lawn so it might not be that bad.

What do you think?

2. goodbeus

goodbeus LawnSite Senior Member

If you're going to be doing a lot of residentials, go with the 52"...anything bigger is to big for those type of accounts...as for the 60" with bagger attachment, do you really want to install and un-install the blower attachment everytime you unload and load the mower...it will become a pain...
  3. dannyc33

dannyc33 LawnSite Member
    from indy

I don't know about taking th eblower on and off everytime you use it, but the 60" shouldn't be aproblme on residential lots.
    You'ld be amazed at how much time you'll save with the extra 8". I use mine on any lot it will fit on from 5k to over 60k.

4. Ricks Z28

Ricks Z28 LawnSite Member
    from Pa

I had a 60" and traded it on a 52" hp and it gets around alot better and is easier to handle.
  5. CS Lawns

CS Lawns LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

I looked at the Exmark 52" and ended up with the Scag 52" Tiger Cub. Both are very good units but I like the Scag better but thats my opinion. Either way the 52" is better for residential easy to maneuver.
  6. CNYScapes

CNYScapes LawnSite Senior Member

Buy a bigger trailer! You will eventually need a bigger trailer anyways, and the extra 8" will really payoff when you are on the bigger accounts.:drinkup:
  7. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Only YOU can decide which size is better for your residentials. Peoples advice that the 52" gets around the residentials better than the 60" may NOT apply to YOUR residentials. For instance, there isn't one residential property I can't use my 60" for with the bagger on. Now that's just me and the area I service, it may not apply to others.

Therefore, only you can decide what will work. Personally, if the 60" will work for your properties with the bagger and be very productive without it as well, I'd sell the trailer and get a bigger one to handle the bigger mower. If the trailer is new, it will have held it's value so you shouldn't take a beating when you sell it. An older trailer will not be worth much and you won't be loosing anything in replacing it. Either way, a trailer that size isn't a huge investment and can be upgraded for minimal costs. That minimal upgrade cost will be well worth the money with the productivity rate you will gain from the 52" to 60" when mowing and/or bagging, ecspecially when bagging due to the three bags versus two.

Finally, taking the blower off is a thirty second deal, at max, but that will get old time after time all day long. The time saved in more bagging capacity will be eaten up by this extra time at every stop throughout the day. Although if it's one or two properties it's no big deal. Good luck with your decision. :D
  8. Simone Lawn Service

Simone Lawn Service LawnSite Member

I agree, you'd be suprised at how much more productivity you'll get out of that eight inches. And if I'm correct, the 60 is only 6 or 8 hundred dollars more-the extra 8 inches will pay for itself in a season easily,
  9. Ricks Z28

Ricks Z28 LawnSite Member
    from Pa

I also aggree with Randy about only you can know what YOU need. I only use my 52" on a few houses and I use my 72" LQ on all the rest simply because I feel that the 72" mows better.