52 or 60 ZTR?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by grn2806, Nov 14, 2005.

1. grn2806

grn2806 LawnSite Member

I've been in business about 3 years with about 12 acounts. I never tried to acquire any more than that because also I work a full time job. I've been using a 48" Exmark Turf Tracer HP and I love it, but I'm planning to go full time next spring and feel like I will need a ZTR rider. At this time I don't really know what I'll be cutting but hopefully I will land some commercial accounts. I"m looking at the Exmark lazer Z 60". Is that an overkill? Should I go with a 52"?
    Thanks for the help.

2. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

With a 52 inch you can use this on all your propertiies the 61 is seldom used here,unless you have a back up unit.

3. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

First few years in the biz we got by w/ two hydro 48" WB, this past summer we purchased a 61Z. We use the 60 on just about every property we do. Most of our accounts are on 1 acre lots.

4. ToroLandscaper

ToroLandscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

I would say a 52" becouse they are alot easier to move about in smaller yards in, and in field or large open areas they arent bad either........a friend has a 60" and i would rather have a 52" any day

5. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I would go with the 52. It will fit on most any property that the 48 you have now will. If you land a large account it will just take a lil longer with a 52 vs a 60.

6. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

Do you reallly need a Z? you said yourself you don't know what you'll be servicing.
    Do you have the money to buy the Z flat out? or are you planning on payments? If you have the money go with the 60, you've already got a 48" for the small stuff, get something for the big properties.

However, If you don't have the money to buy the Z flat out (or mostly). I would use the WB to get started, you can be quite productive with a WB if you add a sulky (if you don't have one already). Save some $$$ up and buy the Z around June or September when you have some cashflow and the properties will be drier and you'll have a better idea of what your properties are.

7. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

This is so true keeping your overhead down,unless you have a lot of cash flow skip it.

8. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

Unlike many, I say once you can justify the bigger mower with your account base, then buy it. I run a 60" Gravely PM 260 on most of my resi accounts. You will probably want / need another mower, 21 or 36 for gated yards. Once you start to grow not being able to get into backyards easily makes it difficult to grow.

In the end it is a judgement call, but run with what you have until the client base becomes difficult to manage without becoming more efficient (ZTR)

I also had the 52 or 60 debate. The 60 is too big for some yards to go fast, but the 52 is way too slow on the big stuff. So I went with the 60 and sucked it up with a 36" WB on the tight small yards until I could afford a 36" ZTR. Whatever that doesn't get gets a 21" push. and they pay for that.

9. lawnsbyrj

lawnsbyrj LawnSite Member

I like 54 for this reason I found out today, that a 60 inch with a bagger or leaf system attached to the deck only allows 3 inches of clearance on a 7 foot trailer. that is just not enough and I cant afford to replace the trailer. ( I was using a buddies 60 to catch up so we used both) and if you are looking I have a 54 " Bunton with PECO bagger I am gonna let go soon If anyone wants it ( I Like it I need to pay a few bills to buy a house)

10. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

You might consider a 52" Wright Stander.