1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

52 or 61 wb

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jsaunders, Aug 5, 2002.

1. jsaunders

jsaunders LawnSite Bronze Member

Just a quick question.- What are your thoughts, which is better? I have 2 52'' Ferris d/d hydros now and I'm thinking of upgrading. Do the 61'' wb's scalp more or should I consider a rider? I'm leaning towards the wb besause I have alot of bumpy lawns that would just beat my body.
    Thanks for any advice!
  2. I suggest you demo both the 52" ZTR and the 60" ZTR and a 60" WB and see which one "you" like better.

BTW they did invent suspention seats to surpress the bumps.
  3. jsaunders

I was surprised you didn't "mention" Exmark:) I have demoed a 61 ferris ztr with the independent suspension. Seemed a little hard unlike with a velky. Do you get more used to the bumps after using the ztr? I only put 6 hrs on the demo.
  4. Yes you get used to it, you learn to slow down on the bumpy parts (which is still faster than a WB).

BTW EXMARK Lazer with a suspension seat has a better ride than the Ferris.
  5. jsaunders

I have wanted to check out the Exmark, but been busy and the nearest dealer is at least 40 minutes away 1 way. Was thinking of how nice it would be to open up and sell Exmarks-( things to do in the future):p
  6. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Yup, me too. The lawns I have I'd never use a ZTR. Either the rest of the world has smooth lawns, or they've already been bounced around so much they can't tell the difference :p
    And for the record, I have demo'd a new Huster Z with suspension seat, and various other machines. And, I do Love Hustlers, just not a rider. FWIW, as I watch all the guy's on riders, with their head and shoulders rocking back and forth, they either are " rockin to the music", or it's as bumpy as I thought.
    That just how I see it........
  7. The Mowerdude

The Mowerdude LawnSite Senior Member

Well.....you're right. The ZTRs are definately bumpy at times. We minimize the bumpiness by airing down the rear tires to about 12lbs. It helps. We don't air down the fronts because they're foam filled, kinda like on Battlebots. Well, ok, it's exactly like on Battlebots.

Once we know the yards though, we know where we have to slow down and where we can rock!!
  8. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

Since you have a Ferris how about a Ferris 3 wheel, or a Gravely

I have a 52 Lesco and a 61 Scag Sthm . Ed
  9. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Wow, I could never run that high a pressure. I'm running 7 lbs. in my Velky equiped WB. Actually I had to get a special gage, since I couldn't find one that would reliably read under 10 lbs down to 4 lbs.
    However, I can run over 2x4's and not even know it......
  10. The Mowerdude

The Mowerdude LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, down under 10 lbs and you have to find a guage like the drag racing guys use.

I might be able to go under 10 lbs, it's just that I haven't been brave enough. I've always just been sure that if I hit the right bump the durn tire's bead would separate and there I'd be out in the middle of someone's yard. :blush:

That's just the way it goes for me, too.:angry: