52" Scag WB

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RedWingsDet, May 21, 2004.

1. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

if i can get a used 7 yr old Scag 52" wb hydro for $1300-$1500 is that a good deal. Its in a good shape.... Im thinking about buying it next month, but want oppinions on it first. thanks!

2. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

What overall condition is it in? I purchased mine at 4 years old from a local dealer with 90 day warrenty for $2000. They supposidly checked it thoughly but rite after I got it the hydrolics went capooie & they honored it with all new hydrolics (pumps & motors). Still using it today 4 years going. I also purchased a snapper 52" hydro 5 years old for $1600 about same time & still works great.

3. RedWingsDet

from Detroit

its in pretty good condition, im sure its been through alot, but its SOLID.

4. does it have the underpowered flathead 14 horse kawi on it?

5. RedWingsDet

from Detroit

i think it has a 17 on it. but i asked him if he needed help to cath up on his 125 accounts, due to the rain to call me. and he said prolly tommarow he will... so once i finish my 15 ill prolly go work with him. so ill talk more about it with him :)

6. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I had a 52 Scag hydro with a 14hp Kaw. Good motor but not enough for the mower. If it has that don't get it.
    Listen here's what you do- I'll sell you my premium eXmark 52" 17hp V twin Kawasaki, hydro drive, floating deck, with an OCDC, ProSlide sulky (need a little work), and an anti-blow-out baffle lip for leaf work. All for $2100. It is a great machine but I'm getting a new Z and won't need it. Come and get it. PM me or send me an email eric@cuttingedgelawncare.biz or call me 812-378-9729 can call right now even.

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Older Scags were always vastly underpowered IMO. I have a buddy of mine who has an old belt driven WB with a 72 inch deck and only a 20 hp Kohler on it. Until I saw it, I never knew anyone made a WB with that size deck...

8. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Ironic how (at least around here) they came to have the best reputation in the walk behind market even though older models were poorly powered. I know that in the early/mid '90's they started to boost the power but their reputation was built before then. I honestly think that they would not have been underpowered if people mowed regularly, used sharp blades and were only walking behind it. But that is what these machines are meant for.. some of us like to go a bit farther :D

9. Rather Be Fishing

Rather Be Fishing LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

I operated one of those bad boys years ago, definitely could have used some more horsepower. It cut well but I never had to use it on overgrown properties. Even on the giant properties we hit that big 72 would make you feel like the grass master! Definitely a macho machine.:cool:

Back to the original question, if the Scag has a 17hp engine and is good and solid the deal sounds good. They're easy enough to work on and parts availability is great (around here anyway).

10. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

A friend of my grandfather's it trying to let one go for $600. Its got some hours on it. No safety stuff, the deck has a small crack. It a 52" hydro 14 kawi. It runs good. He is near Williow grove, PA exit 343 on PA turnpike. Send me a PM is your are interested.