52" Scag

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Kevin@Siteworks, Sep 2, 2001.

1. Kevin@Siteworks

Kevin@Siteworks LawnSite Member

My boss bought a 52" Scag hydro w/b with the new "advantage" deck. I hate this mower. Love the way the new deck disperses clippings, but for some inexplicable reason Scag has made the chassis narrower (maybe so all decks can mount to same chassis?). Now the deck extends further past the wheels and the thing scalps EVERYTHING. We run all Scags with either 52 or 61" decks and have never had this problem before. This mower also has problems with right side drive mechanism (lagging or sticking). I am in the process of establishing my own landscape/lawncare company and will steer clear of Scag products, Go Exmark!!

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Wh not try a Hustler walk behind ?????
    Heavier duty unit, and easier to operate......
    I can have you a demo unit to try next week...

Later
    Pj

3. Kevin@Siteworks

Thanks PJ, I will consider one when I'm ready to buy equipment. I'm still in the process of designing logo, getting insurance, getting required licenses, establishing client base, etc. Thanks again, by the way how does that thing do at climbing curbs?

4. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

I am only guessing, but I am under the impression that your newest addition to the mower fleet is a fixed deck and the others are floating decks.

If this is true, it does take some finaggleing to get the hang of running that extra four inches of cutting width. It just takes some getting used to, but can be done.

Kris

5. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

It climbs curbs with ease.
    There are a couple of guys here that have the Hustler walk behind, maybe we can get em to chime in here.
    When your ready for a demo, let me know, I have a dealer in Grove City that has these units in stock and he would be happy to let you demo a unit.

Later
    Pj

6. SJR Lawncare

SJR Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I have the scag 52 hydro, It does take some getting used to. After having it all season I have no trouble with it scalping. I do wish I had sprung the extra$$ for the 19 or 21 HP kawasaki.

SJR

7. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

I demoed that model of Scag with the 17Kaw,I didn't care for the floating deck at all i use fixed decks there much easier to climb curbs and also to work on for me, plus onece you get used to the fix deck you wont be scapling at all. I really thought that the new deck would cut much better than the old ones but it don't,and those pistol grips very hard on the fingers and hands. I would like to try the Hustler but the dealers are too far for me,and the Snappers are my favorite. Loop steering is the easiest ive ever used and its a plus when you can get alot closer when turning. Marks Mowing Service

8. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

kevin--my mower's deck extends beyond the wheels and because the deck goes where I tell it to, when I scalp something I call it "operator error".

mark--are you saying that with the loop steering you can steer closer to something than I can with pistol grip controls? have I asked you this before? sorry--grey matter is getting thin!

GEO

9. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

Yes Geo with the Loop i can steer straight along a home wall and turn without the mower touching the wall. With the pistol grips youll get your hands smashed,also around thorns and briars i put my hands in the middel and they don't get scraped up. I notice now that the eXmarks have a steering somewhat like it. Marks Mowing Service

10. Kevin@Siteworks

We have all fixed deck mowers, I have been in this biz in one way or another for 10 years and have run just about every mower under the sun. What I meant was this mower's track (distance between drive wheels) is smaller (narrower) than all of our other mowers to the tune of about 4-6". This makes the distance between drive wheel and edge of deck bigger. This mower scalps places the other 52"s don't. I leave it at the shop every time I can.