52" Stander Cut Quality

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mosmgras, Jul 24, 2006.

1. mosmgras

mosmgras LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Guys with Wright Standers chime in...

What do you think about the cut quality of the standers. I've heard conflicting stories about the cut performance and quality of these mowers. (well for all mowers for that matter) Looking for honest opinions from stander owners please. (no flaming) ;)

Thanks guys
  2. mosmgras

mosmgras LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Uhh.... Bump
  3. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

The cut quality is superb when you're not cutting off much more then 2 or 3 inches. The Standers I've used really have a hard time in the real thick, heavy stuff. They don't disperse the grass very well and it doesn't cut it as cleanly as an Exmark would. The newer decks with faster blade tip speeds are an improvement over the older decks in thick grass, but still not as good as the Ultracut deck on the Exmark that we run side by side to the Standers.

Don't get me wrong, the 52" Stander is an awesome machine and is the most versatile machine on the market, but it just doesn't shine in thick grass. Now, one thing to consider is that I've never used a 52" Stander with adequete horsepower. The ones we have are 19 HP Kawasaki's and 20 HP B&S engines, so a 23 or 25 HP Kawasaki might make a difference by keeping the blade tip speed up going through thick grass.
  4. robertsturf

robertsturf LawnSite Bronze Member

We are running 2 52" 23Hp Standers. You should run doubles on them to get even discharge of the clippings. Mulchers on top of highlifts. A very good machine for properties that are chopped up and having slopes.