52 Super Z owners, Are ya happy?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Shady Brook, Sep 4, 2002.

1. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I am considering the differnt hustler mowers, and noticed in the literature that the 52 Z, and Super have blade tip speeds of 16,650, and the 60" decks have 18,350 fpm. Seems like a big difference, and is well below other manufacturers speeds in similar models in regard to the 52. Guys who own the 52, can you tell me if you are pleased, and also if you can compare it to the bigger decked models, or other manufacturers as far as cut quality and mulching capability go? I sure would appreciate it.

I am also looking at the Super mini's in the 52, they are 18,300 fpm, but found out the deck is only 4" deep. This concerns me, I just can not see how it will handle the huge volume of grass at the high speeds that it is capeable of. I will test one in any event.

2. Artman

Artman LawnSite Member

The blade tip speed on the 52" Hustler Z and Super Z has been changed (next reprint of literature will reflect this change) to 18,900 fpm. Also, I just ran out to our shop and measured our Mini Z deck (4.25") vs the Lazer HP deck (4.75"). I measured at the back of the deck on the outside and tried to judge how much the actual inside dimension would be (minus deck plate).

All reports from the field indicate a superior quality of cut with the Mini Z decks. Of course, if there are questions only a demo will answer them for sure.
  3. We do 4 U

We do 4 U LawnSite Member

I Have a 52" Super Z and love it. I have not noticed any difference with the slower tip speed. The thing gets great. 1 problem however, I would get the 60" because the 52" has 0" of trim the right side. Meaning that the deck is even with the rear wheels. A real pain when mowing around beds, etc. The 60" has 6" on trim. IMHO, buy the 60".
  4. Jay

You looking at the hustlers at that dealer out in valpo?

If so whats your impression of them?
  5. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Thanks Artman, that is truely Super! Hey, do you know when that change took place, I mean I wonder if the dealer will have old stock that might have the slower speed, or maybe I misunderstood, and all of the 52's have had the 18,900 speed. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks We Do For you for you coments. I do like the idea of the 6" overhang. I just wondered if it might be to big for small yards. I want the small ones to look nice, and some have uneven spots, where the 60 may be cutting at 3.75 inches on one side, and 2.75 on the other. I am used to a Turf Tiger 52 with no overhang, so am used to it. I really liked the idea of the super mini cus the 6" overhang, but I am not sure. I saw one today, looked nice, but very small in comparison to the big units. The deck looks so tiny, and the discharge opening was so small, I could not believe it! I will likely test one next week, so we will see how she performs. I can see a Hustler in my future!

Jack, yeah it is the one in Valpo, Chesters. The guys are real nice, down home kind of fella's. Seem like honest people and very concerned about pleasing the customer, but not in a salesmanship kind of way, they seem genuine. Did you get your Lazer? You gonna get a Hustler too Jack? :p

Thanks a bunch guys
  6. hustlers

hustlers LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

I tried the mini Z 52 inch and it was nice-good cut
    and discharge
    I have the 54 in shortcut and she is still doing pretty good
    for me-