52" Toro with 23 Kubota...heavy beast, anyone own one?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Shady Brook, Oct 24, 2007.

1. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I am being offered a good deal on a last years model with 52" deck and 23 Kubota. I believe from the literature it weighs over 1400 pounds with 9.5" tires. I am really fearful that it will rut like a beast if the ground is soft. The dealer assures me that he has never had anyone complain, but I am not sure that means much. My Super Z's weigh less then 1200 and are on 12" tires.

Anyone own one of these beasts or something similar? Any other comments would be great.

Thanks

2. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

That tire size would concern me. That mower must be the same size as an Exmark hp to have 9.5" tires. I know 12" tires are standard on a regular sized lazer. Maybe if the tires are wide enough it would not present much of a problem. I would want to demo for sure.

By the way, good to hear from you. I'm just now getting back to posting after a very bad drought. Weeds have been the only thing keeping me going this year. They grow with or without rain.

3. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Tacoma

Thanks for posting buddy. I take it you are still loving your Velocity deck. It does not seem you think it cuts quite as nice as the exmark ultracut, but still would not do without it?

I am really torn between a wildcat with the 26 liquid cooled, and this deal on a 52" Toro with the 23 Kubota. I really do not want to rut, and I do not see how it will not with that weight. I am also concerned how well the 52 will cut compared to the 60. I want the fuel efficiency, but also hate to give up the 8" in cutting width. I almost think I will pay more in labor to have the 52, then I will save in fuel. It is just hard to go with a gas engine over a diesel when the difference is only 500 buck. I would love to demo both side by side, but I can not find a 52 Toro, nor can I find a single demo of any scag rider. Apparantly they sold all their demos.

Fun fun.

4. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

No, nothing yet has given me the carpet cut of the Ultra Cut. The Velocity is just more versitile (able to handle more kinds of lawns, conditions, with a good but not excellent cut). If you look close the Exmark Ultra Cut always looks smoother but if you are looking at the entire lawn from the street the difference is not that obvious. As much as I love the Ultra Cut this is the first year I've not had a single clump from a ZTR, that being the Scag Velocity. So having a deck that does everything good seems to be winning out over having a deck that cuts excellent in good dry conditions if that makes sense. I have found that If I only take one ZTR with me, it will be the Scag. That coming from a die hard Exmark fan.

I wish I could help you more on your decision. After running a 60" it would be hard for me to go back to 52". You will probably have to do at least a short demo to see how the Toro preforms on the soft turf, but the diesel is very appealing. If it had a 60" turbo force on it I think it would be a no brainer (if it didn't turn out to be too heavy). Loosing that 8" may very well cost you more in labor than the diesel will save.

5. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

It's no secret that I am partial to diesels. That 23 HP Kubota will give you superior fuel efficiency AND torque - not to mention durability. :usflag: