52" Turf Tracer HP with 17HP Engine - Underpowered?

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Eclipse, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Eclipse

Eclipse LawnSite Bronze Member

I had a 48" TTHP with a 17HP Kaw and I never thought the unit was underpowered but my dealer only suggest going with the 19HP if I went to a 52" TTHP.

I do plan on running a sulky of some type which I know makes a little difference but might I find the 17HP a little weak on a 52" TTHP?

Thank you for your help.

2. Eclipse

Any suggestions?

3. B. L. Landscaping

B. L. Landscaping LawnSite Member

I have the 17hp and it is pretty good even with the sulky but now is about to die with approx 2500hrs.

4. khutch

khutch LawnSite Senior Member

Same engine I have - It will pull me fine (160 lbs) but I would not mind having a few more horses.
    That said, it has performed a bit better than I thought it would.

5. Eclipse

Thank you for the feedback.

6. jsaunders

jsaunders LawnSite Bronze Member

I have 15 & 17 hp motors on 52 hydro mowers with sulkys- They do the job yet do slow down some in thick growth- but what do you expect.
    I also have 25hp motors on 54'' hydo mowers-
    You will be happy the 17 will do the job asked- worst case you buy a bigger motor and put it on the machine.
    Joel

7. Happy Frog

Happy Frog LawnSite Bronze Member

Change the carburetor and make it a 19 HP if you like wasting money...

8. Eclipse

If I am understanding your post you are saying the 17 and 19 are the exact same except for the carb?

Also, why would it be a waste of money?

Thank you.

9. Eclipse

I did a little looking. They appear to be the same displacement, same compression, same bore and stroke, same weight, so I am guessing they are the same basic engine and the difference in HP could very likely be contributed to the carb.

Thanks for the info Happy Frog.

10. Happy Frog

Happy Frog LawnSite Bronze Member

This subject has been discussed before and the only difference between these engines is the carburetor.
    However, the increase in performance would not help you unless you are going to mulch a lot.