52" Walk-behind Question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Approach, Feb 27, 2007.

1. Approach

Approach LawnSite Member

Is a brand-new 52" Walk behind (Hydro) too big & bulky for residential lawns? All of my lawns are less than 1 acre.

Since the 52" is Hydro, I am assuming that I will be pleased with it's Zero-Turning VS. the Belt-Driven version of a 52" - for purposes of maneuvering.

Don't factor in price of mowers. Thank you.
  2. mow2nd

mow2nd LawnSite Senior Member

If your going to go that big, why not just by a rider?

I only do small residentials myself, and found that those mowers are just too big. My problem with the bigger mowers was tight mowing places and to many turn arounds. These mowers made for more weedeating. The tires were so big that you couldn't help but at times tear up the lawn, so I went back to using a 36 in and 48 in WB.
  3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

52" is fine for that size property
  4. Tahoe1889

Tahoe1889 LawnSite Member

52" is a Good size. unless you have yards with a Fence. I have a 52" Scag WB and a 61" WB the 61 is little too big for some of my yards
  5. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

52" mowers work fine for the company I've worked for on trailer park lots, very seldom is it that it's too big. Get a 52" and go hydro if you're not looking at a Z.
  6. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

52" will work fine and is cheaper then a ZTR
  7. Approach

Approach LawnSite Member

Thanks for all of your great feedback. It seems that the main caution relates to mowing in tight spaces of course -- thus, I'll need to do more weed-eating. For now, I will assume that the 52" is worth the tradeoff's of more weed-eating. I'm still undecided though.
  8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

you'll have far more trimming with a Z than with a WB any day
  9. HiTECH

HiTECH LawnSite Member

All of my walk behinds are 52" hydro Ferris's and i dont think i would ever consider buying a smaller one. If you do happen to pick up a customer that has a fenced in back yard all you have to do is take down a section of fence that is between post and put hinges on it, that will give you around a 6' opening. I only do a hand full of residential lawns but 2 of them have fences and the home owners didnt mind that we made their gates wider.

like some one else said you will have more trimming with a ztr also and ztr's are twice the weight, even if you rotate your pattern you will still have ruts.
  10. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

I've been using a 52" cub cadet wb for 4 years and its worked for me. Only reason I even got ZTR's was to do my lawns that are an acre and up.. You can buy 2 decent WB for the price of 1 ZTR