52" Walker GHS, Gas or Diesel?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KrayzKajun, Mar 11, 2012.

1. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

ok fellas, i wanna here from the walker owners.
    I have pretty much made up my mind to get a walker at the end of the month.

Im looking at a MD w/ 20hp kubota diesel and a MT w/ 26hp Kholer EFI, both with 52" GHS deck.

I was qouted $15,567 out the door for the diesel and right at $13k for the gas engine. is the diesel really worth the extra $2500.

The weight difference is about 225pnds between the two, both with 10bushel hoppers.

for you fellas that run the gas engines, is the 26hp kholer enough power to run say a 62" side discharge also?

i run a 46" Exmark Lazer z w/ 19hp Kaw now. looking for something to compliment it. ive even consided a 48" GHS.
    opinions??

2. johnnyusa

johnnyusa LawnSite Senior Member

diesel would be my choice even over the 31hp. especially in louisiana where ground is mostly flat. good luck with walker i love em and so do my customers.

3. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

That $2500 could go a long way towards buying something else too. That being said, I've never ran a diesel. I do have a MT26EFI with a 48" GHS deck, and last time I calculated I used 0.8 gallons of gas per hour.

4. electric

electric LawnSite Member

Diesel all day everyday over the 26efi. No matter what anyone says you will always have less problems with the diesel over the efi. No other engine walker offers will compare to the toughness of the kubota engine! I have owned 26, on flat ground the diesel rocks the 26. The 26 would be my second choice. Stay far away from the mtl31efi as they have been having so many problems with 2011 models and on.

5. american dream

american dream LawnSite Senior Member

I just got a 48 GHS 23hp and love it has handled everything I have thrown at it.

6. electric

electric LawnSite Member

My buddy has a 23, also a great machine as with the diesel your not at the mercy of the dealer with the ECM fault codes and problems. I have to agree there with the 23.
    Choice (1) Diesel, choice (2) mt23, choice (3) mt26efi
    the one nice benefit with the 26 is .99 per hour fuel usage that's why there so popular.

7. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

I figure im not on a yard long enough to reap the benefits of a diesel. average yard is 20mins mowing with my lazer z.

True. that $2500 could buy a whole new set of trimmers and blowers, new racks for the enclosed trailer,

8. electric

electric LawnSite Member

Only thing that scared me a bit, about two months ago there were two guys on here going back and forth stating the problems with brand new 26 models. Both kept blowing front seals out. Finally the one guy mentioned what he did was replace the old cap in the winter with a custom breather cap. The dealer said there was excessive crankcase presure caused from a pinched breather hose and dirty cooling fins! Both guys machines were brand new!

9. electric

electric LawnSite Member

Met to say "oil cap" not old cap, lol.

10. noahb195

noahb195 LawnSite Senior Member

Go big or go home. If you dont think you need the diesel then dont get it. Dont second guess yourself. Get what you need