52" WB not productive????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by J&R Landscaping, Jul 9, 2006.

1. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I have been talking to a few local dealers getting ready to demo a machine. I am wanting to demo a 52" floating deck hydro walkbehind. 1 dealer I have been to says his sales are mainly belt drive, that he is old school and doesn't like hydros. 2 Dealers said they sell a good amount of that machine. 1 dealer said he don't sell many mowers in that combination of deck/drive system.
    He says that I should just spend the extra 2500 and go with a 52" Z Rider.

I reminded him that I was running a 52" WB some of last season and he says that I am one of the few people that he knows that runs a WB that size.

Should I consider a 52" WB or should I go with a Rider? Some of my larger lawns are a bit bumpy and a few are hilly where I would not be able to use a rider.

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

We have 2 Ferris WB's in our fleet with 52" decks, 23 hp Kawis, and dual hydros. They run like apes in a banana patch and go just about anywhere. My guys love them too btw.

3. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

I'll get to the point... that guy is full of crap.

In St. Louis County there is a lco called "Lawns of Distinction" and all they run is 52" Ferris wb's - I think this company was in the newspaper saying that they do around 2 Million a year. I'm guessing they are profitable. ;)

4. howardsells2000

howardsells2000 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 52" Ferris WB Dual Hydro. I love it. I use it all the time.

5. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks for the replys, keep the opinions comming!

6. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 52 Toro w/b classic w 18 Koh, I also have a 52 " Lesco wb

I use the Toro all the time, My only 48" is a Walker Ghs. Ed

7. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Without knowing your lawns it is hard to tell you what to buy. Having said that, I have been in business since 1992 and only use walkbehinds. I have 2 60" and a 48". Personally, I do not think you can go wrong buying a 52" hydro. Worst case scenario, you use the walk behind for a couple of years and then purchase a rider and use the walk behind for backup/trimming.

8. northernsvc's

northernsvc's LawnSite Member

we run 52" exmark tt with sulkies very productive machines

9. Quail Creek LC

Quail Creek LC LawnSite Member
    from IOWA

Any dealer that tells you that a belt drive is better than a hydro, is full of crap. Around my neck of the woods, everyone runs 52" decks. Make sure that you get at least a 21hp or larger or you will be under-powered. If you cant use a sit down on all your properties, then go with the 52", its the most productive way to go.

10. Detroitdan

Detroitdan LawnSite Member

I have a 52 inch WB Ferris belt drive, so far I love it. I've only used it 3 times (I'm a brand-newbie) but it blows me away. I bought it used but it wasnt a commercially used piece, it was a homeowner with two fairly large properties, so it is in pretty good shape. It goes faster than I could ever need it to go, and it turns quickly and cuts well, so I dont understand how it could be unproductive. I'm not sure what size the Kawasaki engine is, I thought it was in the 20 plus horse range, but somebody told me its more like a 14. I dont see any decals on it, but I havent really looked close. I would think it has to be more than 14.