1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

52" WB Question (on Smaller Yards)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Approach, Mar 8, 2007.

1. Approach

Approach LawnSite Member

I am thinking of buying a 52" WB but am concerned about the WIDTH of each stripe that will appear on the grass?

For example, assume that I'm going to use the 52" on some small front yards. Normally, if I used a 21" you would see lots of little stripes in the grass because the width between the tires is narrow. However, with the 52" the stripes will be so large that only a few lines show on the grass.

Assuming I will use the 52" on some small lawns, What is the best way to avoid this from happening, ie) only a few stripes? If I overlap each pass, then more stripes will appear, thereby making it look like a smaller mower cut the lawn, right? Or, in the eyes of the customer, do customers just not care that the stripes are real large on their small yard?
  2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Why are stripes so important to you? 99.999% of the general public could care less about them
  3. stevesmowing

stevesmowing LawnSite Senior Member

get single wheel velky. That will leave another line down the center:laugh:
  4. Prestige-Lawncare

Prestige-Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

If you are going to overlap you passes you may as well mow with the 21". It's going to be the same number of passes, therefore the same amount of time.

Get you a nice used 36" WB for the smaller lawns if you are that concerned about the stripes.
  5. LawnSharks

LawnSharks LawnSite Senior Member

36" is the way to go on smaller lawns. Cuts well, leaves a nice definitive stripe and you are in and out in half the time. Also, a 36" will fit through 99% of the gates you'll encounter. MONEY WELL SPENT!!
  6. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I wouldn't worry about so many stripes as much as just doing a good job. Many of my customers hardly notice!
  7. Approach

Approach LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reality check. I think I'm getting carried away thinking about things!
  8. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

I totally agree with J&R. Most customers just want a job well done and taken care of when its supposed to be. Just show up do a good job and keep the customer happy no need to worry about those pretty little stripes on small yards