521 Locator

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by BPC, Jun 10, 2007.

1. BPC

BPC LawnSite Member

When did the design change? I just picked up one of the new ones and like the design. Greenlee took some design hints from the pro600 locator and used them to revamp the old 521. No more 6 volt Batteries it runs on 8 D's instead, longer probe, longer leads on the wires.

2. They showed the design change at the IA show in San Antone. Pro Tech and Greenlee got into a lawsuit which I believe was settled by pro-tech (former employees involved with 521 stuff) not being allowed to sell through supply houses. Then Greenlee incorporated all the improvements into theirs. Do you like it better than the 521? I'm tempted to try one but don't need three trackers with just two service vehicles.

3. BPC

BPC LawnSite Member

I really like the design, I had considered buying a pro600 but $500 was a lot to pay for an unknown. I would rather pay the extra $200 and go with a known quality product.
    I haven't tested it in the field yet, once I get a chance to I will let you know how it performs compared to the old style.

4. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Let us know, I've just seen pics of it...looks cool.

5. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Being that I'm 6'-6" I could have used a longer 521 wand MANY times. :)

6. You are 6'6" and Leary is TL's love child. Now i've heard it all. Henry is 6'5" he will be really happy to know that you are tall.

7. PurpHaze

Tell Henry to take care of those knees. I've lost one to many years of groveling around on them doing irrigation. Second one will need replacing in the future too.

8. I'm sad to inform you that he has already had cartilage damage and surgery last winter. (He is only 22) This was a long standing problem that I think service work exasperated. I buy him kneepads but he doesn't use them. I told him that it was against my better interest but he might consider a career change. Doesn't want to go to college and likes the money he is getting. He has a lot of tall people facts that he loves to tell me. (Apparently tall people have a lot of social advantages that make up for the physical problems that they suffer)

9. PurpHaze

LOL... Yeah, we can be easily found in a crowd and our view of GLC/GLMs is usually unobstructed. :laugh: