521s-Tempo/Greenlee/Proggressive

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Armadillolawncare, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Armadillolawncare

Armadillolawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I just bought a 521 by Greenlee. Can anybody tell me the differences between the Greenlees and Tempos and Progressives? They all appear to have the same features.

2. TRILAWNCARE

TRILAWNCARE LawnSite Senior Member

Did you get a 521 or a 521A? The "A" model is the new and improved version.

3. Armadillolawncare

Armadillolawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I got a 521A by Greenlee. It cost me $340.00 on ebay. The description given says it looks new and never used. The pictures also appear that way.

4. TRILAWNCARE

I think one company bought the other company's rights to the patent, and so on. They are the same instrument, just with a different manufacturers. Sounds like you got a good deal.

When you get it, you should go practice tracing wires on a working system, so you can explain to ML how to do it. :laugh::laugh:

5. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

I dont think they make a 521 anymore. It has been replaced with the 521A. That was a good price.I almopst bought 1 from a supplier last yr and I think it was $700.00 . I opened it, used it once and brought it back. Was a little too fragile looking for me, but it did zero right in on the wire.

6. MEXANDME

MEXANDME LawnSite Senior Member

I am still looking at buying a locater. If the 521A and the PRO-700 are basically the same unit, why is the PRO-700 so much cheaper? I am close to buying the PRO-700 but do not want to buy it and wish later that I had bought the 521A?

Thanks for any feedback!

Ros

7. Waterit

Waterit LawnSite Silver Member

Don't know anything about the PRO-700, but a 521 is pretty much bullet-proof long as you don't yank the headphone jack and keep fresh batteries in it.

8. the_typist

the_typist LawnSite Member

I have used both the 521 and Pro600. The 600 has been updated to the 700.

They both work fine. The Pro series was developed to add some features the company making the 521 wasn't interested in adding.

For the price you can't go wrong with the Pro 700.

9. TRILAWNCARE

No spelling errors, good grammar, no sig, first post. Is the world coming to a end?????

Welcome aboard...... The Typist

10. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

And he's been a member for almost 3 years before his first post. Means he's done his homework.