528 online at once!

Discussion in 'Questions, Rules, Suggestions' started by Sean Adams, Jun 6, 2005.

1. Sean Adams

Sean Adams LawnSite Gold Member

Wow! This morning around 2 am eastern time we had 528 actual people online at one time - a new record at LawnSite.com. It is great to see so many people coming together to share ideas, ask questions and provide insight for the industry!

This number is so impressive because LawnSite only tracks actual people, number one. Number two, when you are on lawnsite, if you are inactive for 15 minutes your name is removed from the site and you are not considered to be online at the site. More importantly, if you sign on for 2 minutes and sign off you are not counted as being on the site.

It is always interesting to see how other forums handle this tracking. I, like many of you, belong to several forums. Some bigger than LawnSite, some much smaller. If you are familiar with forums you know there are "hacks" and programs you can install to alter these numbers.

For example, I was on a basketball forum that has 900 members. The owner has it set up so that when you sign on to the site, even if it is for 2 seconds and then sign off, your name appears as if you are on that site for up to 2 hours! The other night they supposedly had 634 of their 900 members online at the same time. They also count spider bots (search engine crawlers) as "people". If we did those things at LawnSite we'd probably have 5,000 members on the site at one time!

So when you see another site claiming to have hundreds or even thousands of people online at the same time - don't necessarily think it is accurate. I say this because we have had members point out when we have server problems...."I belong to a car forum that has 2,000 people on the site at one time and their server is never down"....now you know why.

We could juice our numbers in heartbeat. But ultimately the numbers don't lie - almost 30,000 members, almost 100,000 threads and over 1,010,000 posts.

A big thanks goes out to the members once again! Without you, no LawnSite....we'd be just another forum with the same 15-20 people talking back and forth all day long about the same old stuff!

2. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

Just keeps getting better!!

3. harryhomeowner

harryhomeowner LawnSite Member

You sound like a proud Papa!

You should!

4. Sean Adams

I have to admit...there is pride involved. A lot goes into these sites...Mike Donovan here in the office, Jodi and Charles here at lawnsite, Vipermanz at weldingweb.com, karl and chris at plowsite, Pierre behind the scenes, etc...

5. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

we hit 619 yesterday did we not?

6. Sean Adams

you are correct...guess I spoke a little too soon with my measley 528 :rolleyes:

7. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

is that why i couldn't get on the site for about 4 hours?

8. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Sean. I could not agree more with what viper said. I have learned so much from LS I don't know where I would be with out it.

Thanks again for the great site Sean
    Rob