52in EXMARK,20 HP KOHLER

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by hotr53, Nov 6, 2004.

1. hotr53

hotr53 LawnSite Member
    from 36869

mower has 25 hours on it,when I engage the cutting blades the engine sometimes bogs down and trys to stall out,then picks up and runs great,has a few times stopped completly..any ideas ,

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Hotr53,

First make sure this only happens when the engine is cool. If it happens when cool but not after it's warmed up I wouldn't worry about it too much. These engines are cold blooded and until they get warmed up they can be a bit quirky. When in doubt though check the basics such as the spark plug, air filter and fuel filter.

Thanks

Terry

3. lahanko

lahanko LawnSite Member
    from NY

My 20hp Kohler will stall on cold days when trying to engage the blades until it is good and warmed up. If I am in a hurry I just choke it about ¾, engage the blades then release the choke and off I go. I really think this happens because of the cold grease, belts and all, which puts more of a loaded on the motor. Not to mention with cold air the motors will run a lot leaner, so I just give it more gas (less air (choke)).

4. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Lahanko,

Good point. Back in the days of the 25 and 22 hp Kohlers it was a common practice to give the engine a little "choke" when engagine the blades on cold days. It was even more common on the old 22/23 hp Kawi liquid cooled............now that was a cold blooded engine.

Terry