54" or 60"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 2Sam2233, Apr 8, 2002.

1. 2Sam2233

2Sam2233 LawnSite Member

I am about to purchase a used JD 445. I have the option of two decks. One is a 54" purchased last season, the other is a 60" that is about 5 yrs old. Which would be better? Most of my accts are residential 65,000sq ft and less. My current mower has a 42" deck.

2. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

A couple of things to consider. Do you have any gates to go thru? if so how wide are they? how flat is your ground you mow?
    If there are a lot of small rolls and dips your mowing job won't be as smooth as the flat ones, scalps and such.
    If you can afford it get both. I have two decks for my Walker. And am considering another one.

3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

You have been reading LS since February, and you are still going to go out and buy a Tractor?

How much for this used JD 445?
    Does it come with which deck?
    What else do you plan on doing with this tractor other than mowing grass?

I would suggest you go out and buy a nice new (Insert popular brand) ZTR rider with a 60" deck. You will thank me for this later.

As for your original question....Go for the 60"......But make sure its on a Commercial ZTR Lawn Mower!

4. BAMARED

BAMARED LawnSite Member

Hey TLS,

I've been considering about half a dozen different mowers for the last few years. Sounds to me like Mike is doing his homework. Some of worst purchases that I've ever made have been the heat of the moment types.

Mowing just 1 1/2 acres or <, I don't really think that it's going to make much of a differnce. Would be nice to have both but not if the second is pricey. Definitely consider what Brickman was saying about the ostacles and such.

Be good,

BAMARED

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Go with the 60" as the next size down, 54" is not going to have any bearing effect on gates. There is no gate that a 60" won't go through that a 54" will. There is just no in between size for that. If it is on a tractor, it's a straight draw, and there is no gate between 54 and 60".

6. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

Runner you are right about the size. EXCEPT if it was
    home-owner built.

On the other hand, a 48" gate will not let a 48" mower thru. Because the cut is 48", and the deck is out more than that. But you knew that, I didn't have to say it.

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, that's something ELSE I thought about afterwards, too....what about a 60" gate?:rolleyes: That is an actual gate size, and a 60" cutting deck wouldn't fit through there either. I DEFinitely stand corrected!:)