54" versus 48" deck on hills?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cemler, Apr 23, 2008.

1. cemler

cemler LawnSite Member

I have some terrain where the hills could be problematic at the point where the hill intersects with flat versus other off-camber hills. I am trying to determine if the 48" deck would cut better than the 54" deck (possibly scalping in this area.)

I want to purchase a Hustler FasTrack 54 (or 48) Super Duty or the EverRide Hornet w/ similar deck size.

The Hustler dealer would allow a try-before-you-buy, which is great. However, I do not want to waste his time trying a 54" only to take it back to get the 48".

There are no fences or space restrictions. Any recommendations on deck size would be highly appreciated.

2. Scag413

Scag413 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 48" deck and it does pretty good in that area. I just have to pay attention though because the deck is so heavy that it doesn't always raise enough so I have to help it out some. A 48" would work fine and I would say that a 54" would be the same way. I wouldn't let the terrain make the difference in getting a 54" but that is just my opinion. best of luck to you!