55 Acre Mowing Bid

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by osmann_lawn, Feb 6, 2012.

1. osmann_lawn

osmann_lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I am working on a bid to mow 55 acres. Its all flat straight forward no trimming. (small airport grass run way). I have a John Deere 3203 Compact Tractor with 8ft grooming mower. I have no idea how to even bid something this big for the city. I was thinking around 1 grand. let me know what you think?

Thanks,
    Ryan

2. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

How often do they want it mowed? Around here it would go for about $15/acre.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

If you get it you might want to invest in a WAM. A 60-72 ZTR will be more efficient than the 8ft tractor. I was thinking $750-800, 1000 would be better though. I would say a grand if its biweekly unless it looks like grass that grows like crazy.

4. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

I'd say 15 to 20 bucks an acre. Those are easy accounts.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. LawnMan19

LawnMan19 LawnSite Gold Member

Yeah, I would say about 15 to 20 bucks an acre also. I hope you get it :)

6. osmann_lawn

once or twice a year. So the grass will be long... so at $20.00 an acre we are looking at 1,100. Does that sounds like a fair price?

7. B-2 Lawncare

B-2 Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

1000 Bucks is cheap, we get 65 an acre using a brush hog.

8. LibertyFarmLandscaping

LibertyFarmLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE TX

Yes, thats about the going rate here for bush hog/shredder 20 to 25 an acre. If your mowing it twice a year with a finish mower you will probably have to double cut it. You really need a bush hog rather than a finish mower. Surely the run way is no longer used?

I use a 75hp John Deere with a 15 ft bat wing for this type of work. I have a Utility Co. account I shred around 350 acres 2 to 3 times per year. Many areas the grass,weeds will be over the hood especially in the spring.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  9. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

ooh twice a year, thats different. Thats brush hogging to me. I would say 3 times the price of a weekly mow to brush hog. I was thinking 750 per mow so 2250 for brush mow?

10. osmann_lawn

Do you think only doing it once or twice a year it would not be worth it to 1,000?