56in walker deck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by scottlawns, Jun 19, 2002.

1. scottlawns

scottlawns Guest

just wondering if anyone has tried the new walker deck and what they thought of if.i will be demoing one nextweek ,and what kind of prices are you paying for them?

2. Rodney Johns

Rodney Johns LawnSite Member

I think they have some problems. I have not sold one as of yet but I have talked to a couple of guys who have complaints about the new deck style. They changed the baffles and many customers are complaining of clogs of large clumps of grass falling out of the deck. I am getting rave reviews on this 74" deck on the other hand even though it has a similar baffle style in the deck. I have heard they are already making changes to the 56" but cannot prove or disprove that. If it were me I would stick to the old 52" or 54"
    They are tried and true and will provide and excellent cut. I just cannot tell you much about the 56" yet since it is new other than the few people I have talked to so far.

3. coalburner

coalburner LawnSite Member

Rodney Johns

I was wondering how the 20 horse power Walker would do with a 74? I have a 52 right now and the 20 seems to be a little under powered for it sometimes.

thanks

4. Rodney Johns

The 74" will be under powered on a 20. It is only recommended for use on the 25-or 26 hp
    I think that Walker has stopped production on the 74" deck for a couple of months right now also. It might be tough to find one.

5. scottlawns

scottlawns Guest

i have the demo mower today with the 56inch deck....i was very happy with the way it cut,it was long and damp grass and it looked so much nicer than my toro and my dane cut.so i do think i will buy one and i hope my 20hp will handle it fine,the demo was a 26hp.

6. scottlawns

scottlawns Guest

Rodney....you were right,it was wet this morning from lastnites rain and that deck was clumping up real bad,i finally just put it away and used the dane,so i guess ill just wait and see if they fix that prob,

7. Rodney Johns

Like I said when I called about getting one a while back I was told they had quit production on both the 74" and 56" for a while. Do not hesitate to try the 52" or 54" decks though.
    Those have the best cut I have seen in an SD mower. Please at least give them a demo.

8. scottlawns

scottlawns Guest

i thought they quit making the 54in deck,and how much are they if they still make them,

9. Rodney Johns

We have our 54" on clear out pricing. You might check with your dealer because you are right about them discontinuing them. My biggest seller is the 52" anyway.