1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

57 stone tonnage/yard

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by johnlearn, Mar 12, 2005.

1. johnlearn

johnlearn LawnSite Member

Hi everyone, I'm putting in 57 stone for drainage, and I have a problem: I dont have the formula to calculate the amount I will need for a ditch 300ft long, 3 ft wide, and 2.5 ft deep. (Ditch is completely filled with stone). I also do not know the average lb per foot in order to figure out the formula myself. If anyone knows the formula or the average density etc. I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
    John ;) :gunsfirin ;)

2. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

I have never heard of "57 stone", but in general,

1 lxwxh+cubic feet
    2 divide cuft/27 for cubic yards
    3 with stone, 1 yard is approx 1.5 tons

so for your scenario 300X3X2.5=2250 cuft
    2250/27=83.33333 (if I did this right in my head) cu yds
    83.33333 cu yds=125 tons

3. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Bob 57s are approx. 3/4 inch stone and 1 yd is real close to 1 ton in weight. Sometimes the formulas work sometimes they don't but I think 100 yds top would be all he needs but that depends on what he putting them on the amount of settlement etc.
    Just out of curiosity why are you filling that size ditch with stone ? I presume it has to be for drainage but are you using pipe?

Mac

4. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

1 ton 3/4" cover 80 ft sq. x 2" deep?

5. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Mac is right on the money...300X3X2.5 with waste / uneven loading / varying trench depth/ site loss- call it 3.0, would be 2700 cu ft..divided by 27 cubic feet / yard = 100 tons...
    at 30X3X2.5, that would be around 84 tons..with no waste factor / loss pecentage