5ft retaining wall around a detention pond

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Impact-Vector, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Impact-Vector

Impact-Vector LawnSite Member

This one has me scratching my head.

Was planning on using a block wall system with a fortune of geogrid.

Allenblock doesn't seem to like the idea of a concrete footing (I was thinking of a 4ft deep footing)

Any thoughts? Most engineers are not willing to explore the idea. I'm reluctant to suggest a change to poured concrete.

Thnx

2. clipfert

clipfert LawnSite Member

Get an engineer
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Nbr one, they are RETENTION PONDS, not "detention pond".

Nbr two. This entails an engineer.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. clipfert

clipfert LawnSite Member

Is this at Gitmo? Then it could be a detention pond.

5. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

I can't see how a fortune of grid plus block can be cheaper than concrete
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. PSUhardscaper

PSUhardscaper LawnSite Member

7. DVS Hardscaper

The point I'm trying to make is that nearly all ponds are engineered, whether no wall or wall.

So when erecting a wall for such, it must be engineered. For the wall's stability and for the function of the pond.

8. jbailey52

jbailey52 LawnSite Bronze Member

I think the point you were trying to make, is pointing out he used an incorrect term... which you do not yet know.

9. DVS Hardscaper

LOL - thats how it appears!

Ponds are engineered. They're not just cavities excavated with pipes discharging into them..........

10. JMMack

JMMack LawnSite Member
    from PA

actually....most of the stormwater structures being designed/built now (at least in md and pa) are considered to be "BIO-retention Areas" they are supposed to address water quality issues prior to the storm water being detained. most of our designs now combine the use of surface treatment (bio-retention) and then subsurface (detention) systems, with some variations depending on the site

all of this came about when certain states adopted "new" (now old, 2006 I think) NPDES regulations

btw, a lot of the systems (regardless of who designed them) are failing miserably by creating stagnant standing water mosquito breeding grounds. we have been cited by the "west nile cops" who work in the same organization (govt) as the people who review the bio ret systems....go figure

sorry for the long rant