1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

5hp Briggs not behaving

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by turfinator, Apr 22, 2002.

1. turfinator

turfinator LawnSite Member

I've got an older (5years old) 5 hp Briggs on a Blue Bird power rake. Just got back all my equipment after being serviced. I was told the Briggs is on it last legs because it blows white smoke when first started. They changed the plug, filter and oil on it as well as give it a good cleaning and made any necessary adjustments . The problem I'm encountering now is the engine seems to purge or miss like it cant find the right rpm both at load and idle. It also backfires whenever I shut it down. Any ideas on how I can get my baby to hummmm again:confused:
  2. Just serviced so it has NEW plug, air filter, oil at proper level?

1st thing I would try is draining the fuel, cleaning the carb, refuel with clean fuel.

Next would be govenor adjustment. You just had serviced so check with your dealer.

Armature gap.

Its smoking so compression may be too low to run properly under load. Did they check it? Probably Valves, rings, or both.

Maybe cabon build up on head or exaust port.

This is all I came up with -hope it helps.

Also-before spending too much on a smoking engine, I just ordered a replacement Briggs for my bluebird (5hp) from northern tool for about $250 including freight. You should be able to swap engines in under 1/2 hour.
  3. turfinator

turfinator LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info. I think your right, I'll try to keep this motor alive as long as I can and then just replace it when it quits.
    I could probably replace it for what they would charge to rebuild it.