1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

5hp Little Wonder

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Guardian, Mar 18, 2002.

1. Guardian

Guardian LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Who has a little Wonder Parking Lot blower? I have been using an 8hp for the past month (borrowed) Today, I found a 5hp with little usage and bought it for $250. It seemed to be pretty powerful, but I haven't directly compared it to the 8

Does anyone use the 5 on parking lot? Happy with it?

I figure I can't really lose. $250 is cheaper than a backpack....and a new 8hp is just a little less than $1000 here.
  2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

lol. um evan528 where are you? i have an 9hp little wonder with the honda motor. a lot of people seem to say that the 5hp is not enough power. youre in a different region of the country, so maybe 5 hp can cut it for just doing parking lots. as far as using one for leaves, forget it, jump up to a 8hp or more.
  3. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

5hp Little Wonder is GREAT!
    (6hp is better because it has a better engine.)

For $250, you did okay. We buy them new for $415 here in Chicago.

Compared to competitors 8hp models, the 5hp Little Wonder is:
    Blows higher mph.
    Blows less volume.

Being that most lawn contractors don't blow huge piles of leaves anymore, the 5hp LW is a very useful tool.
  4. Guardian

Guardian LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

I noticed that little wonder doesn't offer a 5hp anymore - only a 6.
    Thats always a little worrysom.

I only need it for leaves on parking lots, not clean-ups -so I think I'm ok
  5. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

The 5hp Briggs has a history of a "disposable" engine that it lives up to pretty consistantly.

They're reliable and start easy, they just don't last long.

Check the oil contantly and change it often (very often) and you'll be fine.
  6. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

The 5 HP model has a much smaller fan than the 8 and up. The fan on the larger blowers would bog down and kill that engine. It should be fine for light stuff, but it doesn't have the volume of air that the larger units have to move leaf piles.

JEFF ZALMANOFF LawnSite Member

I have been using a 5 hp little wonder for 2 years now on parking lots , it has been great, i like that its small enough to roll up a 2 by 8 and into my truck for days to do a quick clean up , when i am not pulling my trailer . jeff z
  8. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

Hey Matt;)

I own a 5hp Little wander and a new 8hp little wander. NO comparison between the two. The 5 is just fine for blowing off lots and dry leaves off a lawn. But for thick wet leaves...nothing beats the new style 8hp or above Little wanders. I can blow a house down with my 8hp blower!:D
  9. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

I have the old style 5hp,about 4 yrs old,we dont even use it now that we got the 13hp,the 5 is there for backup only.If i could get 200 for it its gone,it owrks fine,just no power after using my 8HO,and the new 13HO.
  10. ideallawns

ideallawns LawnSite Member

I own the 8hp, but would buy the 13hp if I had it to do over. Time is money and the more it blows the faster I get out of there!