5k Single Axle trailer?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by recycledsole, Nov 14, 2012.

1. recycledsole

recycledsole LawnSite Gold Member
    from MD

hey guys,
    i have been debating which trailer would do best for me.
    i am currently thinking about getting a nice single axle enclosed trailer and upgrading the axle to a 5k axle.
    this way i would avoid having the dual axles and the additional wear and tear, but still have a good hauling capacity. do you think it would require breaks?
    would this be a good idea?
    it would be nice to have a dump trailer, but my towing capacity is only 7k, so a 5k might not be worth it and a 10k wouldnt be either...
    thanks

2. shane-pa

shane-pa LawnSite Senior Member

beside the axle rating, the frame structure will also determine how much a trailer will hold. If you think that you will haul that much equipment, you might want to think about brakes anyway. what vehicle do you tow with and what will the payload be? when it comes to trailers and hauling, safety is always #1.

3. recycledsole

from MD

thanks shane
    i have toyota tundra with about 1200 payload. so i would like to be able to carry more, have fewer trips to the dump. its not about having a ton of equipment. but i have been reccomended enclosed for the little equip i do have due to theft reasons.
    also i dont have to build a box for leaf season, and dont have to add walls for hauling tons of stuff

4. shane-pa

shane-pa LawnSite Senior Member

i am in the same situation. i have been looking for the perfect trailer for quite some time. i don't mow alot of properties but i have alot of equipment because i do the "other stuff" nobody else will. i am looking for a 6x12 dual axle enclosed w/ brakes. remember, you will grow into the trailer.

buy what you can afford. you can always sell and upgrade.

5. recycledsole

from MD

cool shane

6. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

I have a 14 ft single 5 k axle. It sucks. The trailer is bending over the axle and the top rail is now hanging on by the 2 or 3 remaining posts. The rest are on the sides of the roads in the Tri-county area. I only cary two 60" Z's on it which is 1500 lbs under what its rated for.

7. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

A longer single axle, to me, isn't the greatest idea. May as well have the extra axle for more GVW. That said, you can avoid the DOT baloney requirements if you run a single vs. dual axle trailer.

8. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member