5w30 in new Kawasaki

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, Jul 10, 2005.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

OK, I have been using Chevron Supreme 10w30 in my Kawasaki engines. This a 'dino' oil that has tested very good. But when I went to pick some up for the new 25hp Kawasaki, I found they recently made a change at the store and only carry 5w30 now, which also tests good, but 5w30 is not in the manual. I decided it was too new to put in synthetics, considered other brands, ect.

Then I thought "this engine is very new and tight." So I decided the 5w30 would be just fine because of this and the fact that I probably will not even put 20 hours on it before changing it again because the engine is still very young. So I grabbed some for the oil change and to buy time to find somewhere else that stocks the 10w30.

But I second guessed myself before changing the oil. So I called around only to find that nobody else in my area has any Chevron oil besides the 15w40 diesel oil... so I'm thinking NOW WHAT?

Do I put the 5w30 in for this short run of hours and then choose another oil?
    Or do I run the 5w30 and forget about it?
    Or do I choose another oil, run out and get some, then change oil in the morning?
  2. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

I've heard that you are not supposed to even use multi vis oils for the break in period. strictly 30w for the first 50 hours. the reason, is that you start out with 10w oil, and add to the chain to get the 30w. this can break down in air cooled engines where the engine heats up much hotter than a liquid cooled machine. I think that the likelyhood of breakdown if not very high, but still, the kawi engines are a bit touchy at first. be sure to have the valve clearances adjusted at 50 hours it should be in the manual.

I would put straight 30w in it until you can find another oil.
  3. Envy Lawn Service

Well, I've never heard of that. I've heard about the multi vis breakdown and understand that part thought. But to be honest, I can't even remember the last time I ever bought SAE30 and put it in anything. I know it's been more than 10 years. I've also never ran anything other than 10w30 Chevron/Texaco products in a Kawasaki although I have used other stuff in different types and brands.

I didn't change the oil though. Decided to wait for some input.
  4. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

oh, the kawi is probably fine with 10w-30 from the start, but my other post was in essance what kohler told me when I asked them. it may be different for kawi's. I'd switch to something like mobil 1 or amsoil after the break in though, gets a nice boost in power with the full syn oil I have found the chevron 30w dino oil to good for the break in period. nice thing about multi vis oils, is even though they break down, it helps a lot on startup were the most damage to the engine occurs.

btw, have you ever tried an ever ride mower? I'm trying get some feedback on these, of course, nothing can compare to a demo, but I'm trying to figure out if there are any known pitfalls to the unit.
  5. Envy Lawn Service

Thanks for the thoughts on the synthetics. I'm actually considering using them in this engine. Reason being is that the the oil is staying remarkably clean so far and strangely enough, I'm not getting the normal break-in period oil consumption. Not sure rahter to be worried or happy about that yet.

But the point is, I've only ever put synthetic (SuperTech) in one mower engine... which by the way was just broken in... and the engine failed the same day. But the reason I've never tried synthetics again is the fact these engines don't usually stay clean enough to justify the use of synthetics. My drain intervals are usually 25 hours to once a week. But never over 50 hours. So I just can't see it really. But with this engine, maybe....

As far as the Everride mowers go, do a little search here and you will find their known pitfalls. These units are no longer even available in my area.... not to my knowledge anyways. They were dropped by the dealers and the distributor.
  6. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I think you're being a little picky about your brand of oil. Chevron is good, but so is any other major brand of oil. Just go buy a premium quality motor oil in the 10w-30. Castrol is my favroite, but I mainly use mobil 1 synthetic.