6.0 chevy question

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by rkk95, Dec 22, 2003.

1. rkk95

rkk95 LawnSite Member
    from west PA

Does anyone know what would cause my truck to have a very hard time getting started after it has been run for any amount of time between 2 minutes and 5 hours, but when i go out in the mourning it starts right up like there is no problem? I changed the fuel filter and plugs, and checked the fuel pressure. I have talked to a couple of mechanics that I know they say they think that it is the fuel pump, but the pressure is good. It will turn over for quite a while before it fires, but like I said other times it will start right up. I hate changing fuel pumps, and it is $400 I don't want to change it if don't have to.

2. UNISCAPER

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

First of all..Real eninges are made in cubic inches, not liters..

Let the folks over the pond call them that... There never will be any subsistute for CUBIC INCHES... Using the liter measurment is not PC, and offensive....So, you have a 365 Cu In engine, regardless of what the manufacturer says.....LOLOL

Now, lemme think...I doubt it is fuel pump...Typically, they are either good or bad, event hough occasiionally you may find one pumping at a weak pressure....Then you would find lack of power on the truck overall...

It sounds like what you have could be as easy as a bad gas cap, or as difficult as a bad set of valves...When engines with poorly toleranced valves start cold, the compression ratio is fine, so they fire...As the engine heats up, compression drops because valves are worn. Along those lines, you may also have a vacuum issue..Hot engine, wider gaps between parts...Fuel gets mixed with more air, and does not fire right away... I would defintely look for fuel vaccum issues before you enter into the next phase...
    Does this vehicle have an illustirous computer? you know one of those things that cost us a grand a vehicle when we buy them so diagnostics are made a snap? Providing it does not tell the technician a lie, yuo could have the dealer plug it in and see what the computer tells them...It may just be cheaper in the long run....

The days when vehicles had simple electrics and technology was not in the system was so much better!

Hope this helps!

3. rkk95

rkk95 LawnSite Member
    from west PA

I had it put on their computer, it said nothing is wrong. It started fine at their shop, I think that I would hear the valves tapping if they worn, thanks for the help.

4. TRex

TRex LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW ,TX

Could it be just bad gas. To test it run the tank down almost all the way then go to the best station and give it 50 miles or so to get to the engine.

I had a problem kind of like this with my truck except it was the spark plugs were fouled out very bad. New plugs and truck started first 1/2 second of cranking.

5. rkk95

rkk95 LawnSite Member
    from west PA

Thanks, but i have tried that, and that still wouldn't explain it starting so easily in the mourning. It runs great once it starts the is no hesitation at all and it seems to have the same power as before.