1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

6.0 diesel Ford guys

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by OhioMowerGuy, Jun 2, 2008.

1. OhioMowerGuy

OhioMowerGuy LawnSite Senior Member

What do you guys think of your 6.0 diesels? Im looking at 05-06s. Would you recommend one? How are they on fuel mileage? Ive been looking at 7.3s off and on but cant find one I like and now im seeing some 05 and 06 diesels going for the same price as 2005 6.0s. Ive heard some bad things about the 6.0s but I see alot of them out there. Are they bad motors? Thanks
  2. CAT MAN

CAT MAN LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

There not bad motors when they first came out in 04 I think it was they had turbo problems then in 05 they got that fixed, my buddy has a 06 f350 dually with a bullydog chip and straight pipe exhaust and it is a rocket. Now if you can find a 7.3 powerstroke then thats what I would get very very good motor, but needless to say there all good motors just had there probs when they first came out but what motor dont!
  3. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

they came out in 03. bout 40-50% of them were bad. the rest fine. 04's were a little better along with 05's. 06-07 seems to be alot better, thats what im looking for.
  4. CAT MAN

from PA

ok 03 it was i know that mid 05 they were fine
  5. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I have an 06 f250 4x4 with a 6.0. I like the truck a lot, no complaints. My best friend has a 04 f250 with the 6.0. Just boguth it used with 44k on it. Hes had it a bit over 2 months and so far so good.
  6. CAT MAN

from PA

even the new 6.4 is a good motor after they got the bugs worked out
  7. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

I have a 2003 F-450 with 6.0 power mine has been good so far the turbo is acting up again but it is a common problem on the 03s.

The big problems come from people doing it themselves ie putting on tuners to increase the power, not doing proper maintenance etc.

The 6.0s need to be driven hard and driven every day. As for mpg my 6.0 gets 12mpg not bad for a 9300lb truck I drive like a sports car :laugh:

Would I buy a 7.3 PSD again probably not. Once you get a 6.0 grin you never go back. A 7.3 PSD can't even touch a 6.0 in stock form for power.

You have to learn how to drive a 6.0 and once you do the truck is a rocket. I never had a F-450 that could pull 10% grades at 75mph.

Get a oasis report on the truck see what has been done to it and see its history.

I know two of my brothers friends wish they never traded their 03 6.0s in for 6.4 PSDs because the 6.4s are huge fuel pigs.
  8. OhioMowerGuy

OhioMowerGuy LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the replies, keep them coming. I like what im hearing so far.
  9. CAT MAN

from PA

thank the epa for the bad mpg's they but a DPF filter on the exhaust of all the diesel pickups and fuel millage goes away, but my friend has a 5500 6.7 dodge and a 450 6.4 powerstroke both have the after market chip for taking the stuff off the exhaust to run straight pipe both are getting 18 mpg around town!
  10. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale LawnSite Senior Member

We just picked up an 06 dually deisel ext cab long box xlt with 3500 miles on it. It was a US truck-very nicely equipped for $34,000 cdn. It has a 6.0 and although i've only put 500 miles on it since, theres no shortage of pulling power, and its alot quiter than my 7.3's. The price i paid was a steal up here, comparable trucks are still fetching high 40's low 50's. I just bought another US truck-07 chevy 3500, diesel ext crew cab long box with 10,000 miles for the same price. I cant get over your truck pricing down there.