6.0 Ford?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by yardworks inc., Jul 2, 2010.

1. yardworks  inc.

yardworks inc. LawnSite Member

What year models of the 6.0 have fewer problems than the rest?

2. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

06-07 a late 05 is ok too. Get an OASIS report from the dealer on whatever you buy...

3. yardworks  inc.

yardworks inc. LawnSite Member

On the later models is there stilll anything I need look for or try to prevent? I am looking at a couple different trucks with 90,000 to 110,000 miles. Is there any particular problems that seem to happen around this mileage?

4. castlerockmo

castlerockmo LawnSite Senior Member

This is funny, just today I was driving my 05 DRW crew cab and smelt diesel so I stoped and looked in the bed to see if any fuel was pouring out of a can....nothing, so I look under the hood and see there is fluid coming from my coolant resi, I give it the ole sniff and its diesel. So I call ford they said its a cracked going to cost somewhere between 4500-6000 to fix. Well I only owe 16600 on the beast with 140,000 miles. Well I also think the egr is bad again and I may have a bad turbo, so needleSs to say I spent the day truck shopping! It sucked I really like my truck and liked the power and fuel milage of the 6.0 but dang that engine is a problem. Sorry to rant
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. unkownfl

How does diesel get in the coolant system? Only time I had seen any issues you're describing is oil in the coolant from a bad oil cooler. I find it hard to believe that diesel is getting into your coolant. Are you just some Cummins guy spreading rumors?

6. unkownfl

Get an Oasis report and see if any hard parts were replace if so run away... I had a 06 6.0 although I didn't have any issues I would suggest staying away from diesel unless you really really really need one or you have a lot of money. They're far better trucks then what a lot of people make them out to be and every brand has there issues right now with their diesels.

7. castlerockmo

castlerockmo LawnSite Senior Member

No I am a die hard ford fan! The dealership said it was a cracked head. I don't know but it defiantly diesel and defiantly the coolanst system! I love that truck! Oh and screw cummins and the duramax! Haha I was look at 10 and 11 fords today.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. unkownfl

I really don't see how fuel could get into the coolant system. I have never heard of a cracked head on a truck in a long time. I traded mine in for a 2010 f150. With Z plan and 6000 grand in rebates I couldn't sit around and wait for the ticking time bomb 6.0. It was good to me and to other around me but I know sooner or later it was going to be a money pit.

9. ajslands

ajslands LawnSite Silver Member

I have the o4 ford (one with all the problems. And I've only had one problem with it and that was the alternator at about 100,000 miles.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Economical_Landscaping

Economical_Landscaping LawnSite Member

As far as i know through some detailed research and previous owners. The 05 is the worst of them all.