6.0 Vortec vs. 6.6 Duramax

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by ddixon7, Sep 7, 2013.

1. UNIQUElawncare

UNIQUElawncare LawnSite Member

I owned an 03 Dmax a few years back and I've kicked myself every day since I traded it off! It was a pulling machine!

2. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

Unless you absolutely need a diesel, I don't see how you'll save money with the extra cost of maintenance, fuel, and then $18.00 for urea every tank and a half or so.

I used a buddy of mines 2013 6.6 duramax for a month while I had a truck out of commission. It was pulling my dump trailer or pulling about 14k pounds regularly. I averaged around 11mpg. It pulled wonderfully and stopped even better. But I was shelling out $120 for a fill up..

3. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

I just bought an 01' 1500hd Crewcab w/ 6.0 as a second truck. After pulling my 18' enclosed trailer around on Friday , I'm highly impressed by the power.

4. 711SnoPro

711SnoPro LawnSite Member

If you're filling the DEF tank every tank and a half there's a hole in the tank or something. Try every 2-3000 miles or more. That's been my experience so far.

I have 25000 on the 13 Duramax I have now. This will be the third dmax I've had and so far it's been great. I was skeptical about the DEF at first but it's no big deal. It tows the gooseneck and skid trailer around no problem. Great pickup as the other two were. Yes maintenance can get expensive on them. No different than any other piece of equipment.

That said if all you do is tow mowers I'd go 6.0. I think next summer I'm going to find a older regular cab 2500 with a 6.0 as a run around pickup that can still tow to save on driving the diesel unless I'm hooked up to the gooseneck or skid

5. ddixon7

ddixon7 LawnSite Senior Member

I don't think I am going to get a diesel. It is really not my mowers that the diesel would help me out with... It is when I pull tractors back and forth between my farms. I am not a farmer, but I pull my little 40hp New Holland and sometimes my dads 95hp Case around, and the gas definitely does not like it one bit going up hills. But I only tow like this maybe 4 or 5 times a year max, so it probably isn't worth the diesel.

The gas has the power, but it revs high to get it. The diesels tach doesn't even move.

6. WayneJessie

WayneJessie LawnSite Member

The D-Max will get better fuel mileage but will it save you $8000? The maintenance on the gasser is going to be alot less as well. One injector on a D-Max will set you back more than all eight on a Vortec. If you were pulling a skid-steer or something really heavy a diesel would make sense but less sometimes is better. Modern diesels are notoriously expensive to repair thanks to ever-increasing EPA mandates. I'd love to own a diesel but it would not makes sense for me to have 900ft. lbs. of torque to pull an 18ft. lawn trailer.
    The 6.0 has been a great engine durability=wise. Yes, it likes the gas but it takes alot of gas to pull as well as it does.

7. CuttingEdgeLandscapes

CuttingEdgeLandscapes LawnSite Member

The 6.2 vortec only comes on the Denali HD
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. PlantscapeSolutions

PlantscapeSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

You need to remember at resale your going to get back 1/2-3/4 of the extra money you spend on a Diesel. It's not money lost. There are things you can do to give your investment extra protection like adding Opti-Lube XPD to the ULSD Diesel to put the lubricity back that was lost when sulfur was removed. The extra lubricity helps protect your fueling system.

The DEF on the newer trucks has also helped with millage so it's really a plus not a minus. Even though the fuel costs more your usually going to use 25-50% less depending on if your empty or towing medium to heavy loads. The DEF using Ford 6.7, GM 6.6, and Cummins 6.7 have all done really well.

The simpler big C straight six in the Ram is still my favorite. It gets used in the medium duty Fords and is the only engine used to repower Fords 6.0 & 6.4's as a swap option. Diesel is not for everyone but for even just mostly towing my 16' enclosed it has been a much lower cost per mile option in my 2500.

9. kawakx125

kawakx125 LawnSite Bronze Member

you'd be hard pressed to take my 6.7 cummins away from me. its annoying to me driving a tow vehicle that struggles, this thing doesn't blink whatever i throw at it. i picked up a 2013 silverado 1500 for the wife, and come to find out it has 3.08 gears in it, i can hardly stand driving it if i'd have figured it out sooner i'd have taken it back. this diesel has spoiled me

10. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

I have a 2008 (LMM) Dmax 3500 reg cab i purchased new. It has 110000 miles on it. Truck runs great, no problems at all. I also have a new 2013 half ton, extended cab short bed, lt (all star) The new truck is probably the nicest chevy pick up i have ever owned. It has the 5.3 and the six speed, 17" wheels and i get 18.5 mpg around town. It has the instant econ engine, i have seen it get as much as 99 mpg on the highway!